Seat Foam, how much?

Started by hfarley, April 04, 2005, 07:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

Ok I am still in the process of redoing my seat. I have directions on how to do it but here's my question. How much foam (thickness) should I have as a bare minimum? The reason I ask is because I am short. I am 5'4" and I have shaved a little off the seat, then put it on the bike to check height. I would like to be able to flat foot the bike. SO far I am close but not there yet. I am taking a little off at a time  but how thick should I make sure it stays? I don't want to take too much off but I really would like to be able to put my feet flat on the ground. I tried those bike boots too that have the wide, flat heels. In those I can touch the ground fully but my heel gets caught on the foot pegs when I go to reach for the gear shift. (foot isn't long enough -women's size 8/ men's size 6) I don't feel comfortable with them so that is not an option. I am just about an inch to 2 too short LOL!
-Heather ;D
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Lucky

Kiawrench could probably tell you, i'm pretty sure he shaved his.  one thing i've learned sculpting mine though, if you go too far, you can allways add more back on & shave it again.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

The Vision racer had a lowered seat  but  I sold it off  . I found that  the edge of the seat needed to be beveled , where your leg pases over the edge . If you dont it wont help much to lower it .
Leg length is a problem  But I learned many years ago not to worry about it . As a wrench I was expected to ride any bike I worked on and so I learned to cope . My inseem is 29 inches   so I am verticly challenged  at least in the lower extremities.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kiawrench

when I first thought of lowering my V ,there were a lot of questions out there ,and no answers.
 ? ?I stumbled across a web site named "west texas outlaw customs"(now gone ) , showing how to custom cover a seat , so i followed the directions and can now ride and stop in comfort. (i am just a wiggle over 5 ft tall(!))
 ? I have two one inch layers of foam on my pan , but i tweaked it a bit first
1. cut away old cover , cut away old foam
2. mount seat pan back on bike , sand to "rounder" contour with a belt sander, but do not remove too much !!!! just ease those goofy edges a bit
3. cover pan with one layer of "windshield sunshade" from wal-mart- that is for the heat reflection
4. glue down first layer of foam (1 inch), and cut it exaclty to shape of pan seat area, dont carry it over the sides,
5 . glue second layer (1 inch) of foam over top of first, carry it all the way under the pan,make as tight as possible,,trim just to lower edges when glue is dry
6. place new cover material on top of big bag of dog food/sand bag , something to provide smooth even pressure to entire seat pan(the dog food trick works, the kibble slides around and self levels ,giving near perfect "clamping surface"
7. pull up end section, staple down,pull up nose section, staple down -- place feet or knees onto bottom of pan, giving the foam a good squeeze- pull up sides of foam and start going to town with the stapler

this will give you a long smooth lowered seat pan ,good padding ,and the benifit of losing almost 3 inches of seat height(all the darn foam on a stock seat )
 remember, the harder you pull, the more staples you will need, but it will be smoother
 ? ? I did this long ago, and GA wolf can tell you ,, it sits well and doesnt look too bad .
 ? lucky has pics, maybe he can post a side shot ,,,, let you see before you try it
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

I have pics? i forget..was that before the hard drive crash?...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

:'( ? must have been, or it is still in mail box ,, lol
  heather, sent you sep mail, with pix,, sorry went as attachment
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

hfarley

Actually Someone sent me pics awhile ago of how to redo the seat and I am following that sort of. If shaving it down does not work I am going to redo it by buying the foam and starting all over again. Two inches isn't bad. I can deal with that. I just didn't want to go to far. I have been saving all the foam that I have shaved off just in case I needed to glue it back on, LOL! Thanks! I will let you guys know how it goes.
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

ps2/bikevision

heather if you mess it up and want to start anew let me know and ill send you the orignal foam. no charge you just pay shipping. ive got the spare seat in the shed and want to get rid of it. (i will never throw a vision part away)

ProfessorRex

Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...