News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Clutch Cable 82/83 difference ?

Started by Lead_Deficiency, April 08, 2005, 03:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lead_Deficiency

I have a full faring and low risers, is there a difference between the clutch cables ? or does it matter if there is a difference?

h2olawyer

L.D.-

The 83 cable is a little shorter.  I just put the low risers & 83 fairing on my 82.  With some slightly different cable routing, the 82 cable does not rub on the plastic dash of the 83 fairing.  I needed to do a bit of playing with all the cables to keep them from rubbing.

I guess the short answer to your question is yes, there is a difference - but either cable can be made to work.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lead_Deficiency

So should I have a short or long cable?

(not that I'm bragging, or complaining... lol)

Lucky

with lower bars you should use the shorter cables to be technicly correct, but you can use the 82 with a bit of wrangeling, just fine.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ps2/bikevision

ive got an 82 with 83 cable. i had to shorten it a little to make it fit just rite. (i used to build bicycles as a kid so i am used to modifing cables)

In my opinion it is better to trim some off than to not have enough.

if you modify yours just be careful not to cut into the inner cable just cut the out side housing with a hack saw and use black tape to finish it up. when you are done no one sould be able to tell that you modified it if you cut perpendicular to the cable.

Lucky

Quoteive got an 82 with 83 cable. i had to shorten it a little to make it fit just rite.

PS2, that doesn't make sense... 82's have taller rises than 83's..83's have shorter cables...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ps2/bikevision

yea i know i dont think the guy i got it from was telling me the whole truth it didint even have the same end on it but i was able to make it work with some modifications. he told me it was off a 83 vision and it was free so i didnt complain. plus i really needed it when mine snaped 30mi from the house.

i was at a junk yard looking for some spare parts and when i went to leave i pulled the clutch and, snap. but the guy did give me the cable so it wasent all bad. theres a guy here that can make any cable i need so one of these days im going to take the bike over there and have him make me a new one.

Lead_Deficiency

Ok I'll get the 83 cable, it's only about $17.00 US.

Thanks guys