News:

Main Menu

Update, and question

Started by 4runnerpilot, February 08, 2003, 02:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4runnerpilot

I am currently working on my Vision, and am doing some modifications to it in the "streetfighter" kind of idea. I think the vision is weel suited to the style, and has really nice lines that will benefit from some modernization. I bobbed the back fender and relocated the license plate up to sort of behind the tail light. Its still clearly visible, but I think it clears up the lines nicely. I'm going to get a set of shorter and smaller turnsignals for the fron and rear, and I am thinking about a smaller, more modern headlight.
The bike has already gotten new paint, a nice bright red on the tank and front fender with the side and rear covers silver. I painted the frame silver as well.
It is coming along nicely.
My question is in regards to the rear tire. Admittedly, purely for visual reasons, I would like a wider rear tire. I think the bike would look a lot better with more rubber out back, and I was wondering what the widest tire was that I could run. I would think about a different swingarm if the bike was chain driven, but I am pretty sure with the shaft I am stuck with the one I've got.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Brian

4runnerpilot

Here is how it looks so far...

Brian

bikeseamus

Brian   A Virago, XS 850, 1100 Maxim,or XS 1100 should go on the back. Tire width will have to be determined by what rubs and what doesn't. That's about it on the rear tire. As for the streetfighter look, keep us posted. I can't help thinking a harley V Rod like tank would look maybe real good. Limiting factor would be the size of the under tank opening. You will have more styling freedom if you're willing to give up some fuel capacity. I think the frame will determine a lot when it comes to the tank styling. I encourage your project. I rode my vision on a shakedown last year with no fenders or sidecovers and a lawnmower tank taped to the frame. It was interesting to look at, and got me thinking in your direction. DO it, and keep us posted. OK Buddy

4runnerpilot

By that do you mean that the whole swingarm, brake, etc.. would transplant from one of those bikes? If so that opens up a whole new line of ideas...
Brian

bikeseamus

Brian  Check out Buell turn signals. They're only about five bucks each,are well made,small,black,and work well. Your vision bulbs WILL squeeze in there, to make your relay work. Match the front and rear wheels from the same bike,they should interchange with some bearing swaps, maybe won't even need it. You might consider a Seca 750 front end with dual discs..........................it goes on and on...you're gonna have to draw your own lines......It's your baby,lookin good. Hope this helps.

bikeseamus

Brian   I don't know about swingarm and brakes and stuff, maybe. I haven't done the research. What I'm saying is the 16 inch wheels slide right onto the vision, for the fat tire look, and you can go fatter and fatter until the tire rubs the swingarm. If you want to get fatter than that, you gotta do SOMETHING. Personally, I would never do this mod, but if I lived in flatlands it would make a little more sense. I live in bob and weave hills and hollers, and need and love to make my bikes dance. Fat bias ply tires don't giddit for that, plus I don't like the way fat tires hydroplane on wet roads. It's just my thing, I like dancers. OK Buddy

Lucky

Umm, I like dancers too...Oh ah, nevermind.. :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bikeseamus

Lucky........C'mon man! Tell us about this dancer thing...it's just us out here, and we'll promise to keep it to ourselves......honest!

4runnerpilot

I have an OK bike salvage yard here, so maybe I will look for a 16" wheel and see how it looks.  Correct me if I am wrong, but it is best to replace both front and rear tires at the same time if you are changing sizes like that. I'm not talking about changing them on account of wear, but because of the handling differences of different size tires.
Other than an 83 front end, any thoughts front ends (be they forks alone or the whole triple clamp, etc...) that will swap on for better brakes and handling?
Thanks
Brian

Rick G

You are creating a morphadite!  a 120 90 x 18 is as big as you want to go 16 wheels DO NOT improve handling  the are heavy and inhibit proper handleing.  If you looking for a "look" fine , but you will find the bike  will seem clumsy.
I tried a 12090X18 on the front  (because I had it)  and it was like riding a baby steam roller. I had it on for 2 days!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Don't forget to watch the steering geometry, i'm in no way an expert here, but I know the V's trailing axel is somewhat unusual.  If you go with a different front end set-up, take that first ride very slow! the results might be unpredictable.
Have fun! --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bikeseamus

4Runner  Like Rick said, DON'T go smaller on the front end. Like Lucky said....be aware of your geometry. Fortunately, a 16 inch rear wheel with tire installed will be very close in height to what you have, so therefore that won't change enough to matter. While you're prowling in the bikeyard, see if an old FZR front end is the unit you're looking for. They made a million of them and should be cheap. Shop around. The look, stopping power, and handling should improve. Keep in mind that you will now have a radial front tire, which will be matched to a bias ply rear tire. Some will say this is a formula for wierd handling, but if you're not roadracing it may work. Keep in mind that a custom bike is always an experiment, and unless you're perfectly following a proven recipe, you're on your own. I've had people tell me that things will or won't work if I do this or that, but it's all theory until you build it and try it. By the way, when I think of a streetfighter, I think of nimble. I think you're getting into a cruiser. But call it what you will, it's your bike, and I think what you're looking for is a unique modified vision. Tell us what worked for you. After all, I've always considered them kinetic sculptures. Have at it!

Silver Bullet

4Runner,
Don't want to throw a wrench in the works, but as I recall in the original ads and technicals, the Vision has the trailing axle fork for a reason.  It seems the rake of the fork legs was increased to provide turning clearance for the radiator shroud.  The trailing axle compensated to give the bike a normal steering feel.  Seems as though Yamaha did a good job, and changing the fork would probably mean changing one or both of the triple clamps, again altering the steering charecteristics.  The other chaps are right on when it comes to tires;  big meats look neat, but don't necessarily turn and handle well.  It's doubtful that the standard brakes will overpower good tires in a 100/18 front or 120/18 rear size.  Other than that, your machine looks great, don't let me discourage you from experimenting, just stay safe!

4runnerpilot

This is all kinda down the road anyway, as the bike has brand new tires on it right now and my pocketbook isnt gonna allow a switch just yet. As far as the fork change, I would either look for a set with the same diameter as the originals, or machine the clamps to fit the new tubes, so I could keep the stock triple clamps and all that go with them.
For the moment I think I am going to concentrate on a "sport standard" kind of idea and just get the bike into the best running and looking shape I can, and then work on the mods from there. Lots of polishing for me!
Thanks for all the advice!
Brian

Rick G

I've heard the story about  the trailing axel forks being used to clear the radiator, and its baloney. I 've messured the thing and  unless they mounted the forks darn near straifgt up and down it would never hit. What the trailing axel forks do is shorten the wheel base   with out a steep fork angle.
 A fellow who used to be on this forum , Burk Storti, had a V with a Vmax front end and wheel (as well as  MAC pipes and Megacycle cams!) so its posable to run a standard axel fork, but I believe it would slow down the steering. Which might or might not be a good thing! I don't think he ever rode it,as it came with a(natch ) bad stator I wanted to buy his 2 v's but my timing was off. When he wanted to sell ,I didn't have the money, when I had the money they were gone!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike