News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Ignition wires

Started by Mark LeBlanc, February 05, 2003, 04:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark LeBlanc

Got a problem.  Dog ate rear cylinder spark plug wire (don't laugh).  Almost complete with total restoration, ready to ride.  Will an aftermarket (Accel, etc.)work?  Have O'Reilly's guy willing to help any way possible.  Trying to avoid area Yamaha dealer, got messed over bad because I'm not buying a new anything from them and they've never heard of any Vision "thing"(is it an atv?).  Please help.

bikeseamus

Marc  I've been hearing that NOLOGY plug wires are the best these days, though I haven't tried them. I understand it's like running a high performance coil. The wires themselves carry their own grounds, and really boost your spark. They have a website. They are expensive though, and tha ACCEL wires would be a lower cost alternative that would work.

George R. Young

If you're looking for a used one, let me know, ag136@freenet.carleton.ca

Mark LeBlanc

Thanks, Bike, appreciate the response, you guys are some of the most helpful people I've had the good fortune to know.  Picked up  a ton of tips that helped with total resto.  May look at the NOLOGY site, but if regular good quality wires will do, may try that first.  About 35 degrees in south Louisiana this morning, went to pull sidecover off to get to only existing wire to match, split sidecover about six inches after just getting beautiful custom paint job.  :'( Typical.  Can't wait to finish and RIDE!

Paul Jungnitsch

Sorry to hear about the sidecover. If you are not doing this already you may want to try silicon grease on the grommets to make them release easier. It is also useful stuff (back to the ignition wires) in the joints of the ignition wires to keep water/corrosion out and on the plug ceramic to stop the boot gluing itself to it.

Silver_Bullet

Thanks Paul, should've known better, have been meticulous about all the complicated stuff, tend to forget the simple things.  Did get an entire set of top-line Accel 8mm performance series wire for $25.00!  O'Reilly manger must like me.  Still paranoid about carbs, were in great shape, bike was a good runner when I bought it, did the  cleaning/tanking thing, but always expect the worse.  Got great info on jetting in the earlier postings, if not running good will try those suggestions.  As to tires, got a hold  of Chen-Shing? tires that have excellent construction and the tread design of Metzler laser and 99, for $87.00(for both) at local Honda dealer.  We don't have much in LA except best food and low costs on most stuff!
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

Cdnlouie

I'll tell you that I would think twice about a Chen-Shi...  Tires really follow the principle of "you get what you pay for."  Better to get a good sale on a better tire.

::) In the old days these tires use to be very difficult to install since they were not the proper size.  Our shop refused to install them.  Ask around about these tires before you buy.

Rick G

I 've used 2 sets of Cheng Shins,  the Dunlop knock off , Marquis and the Metzler knock off  Hi Max. I like the Marquis better, as to not fitting, thats a thing of the past, they fit fine now. I got 5/6,000 miles from the rear tires (the fronts like all front tires go on for ever. I'm not very tire sensitive , I guess, they all seem to work fine for me and I really terrorize the back roads. The one draw back to them, is the 3 ply casing. I'm concerned about them staying on the rim, ( they have a soft, almost floppy carcase) if you had a blow out at speed.  Now , I've never had a blow out at speed, or even heard a first person account of it , BUT it could happen.
 I tried  another cheap tire  the IRC  Durotour , Nice heavy casing, stuck to the road as well as any, BUT lasted only 1800 miles. Don't waste your money on this thing!
I now have  a Bridgestone Spitfire on the rear, and I like it ,  its  wearing well , sticks well and shows promise of lasting 5000 + miles.
Another one I'd like to try is a Kenda  its a 4 ply tire for 42.99 front and 46.99 rear in Dennis Kirk's catalog I had a set of Michlens,  me 33 and me 1 and they were no better and did not last any longer  than the cheaper tires.  I know, many people say the provide such great traction but for me  they are grossly over priced. This is all only my opinion, talk to 10 others and you will probably get 10 other opinions.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Silver_Bullet

Appreciate the feedback on tires, am believer that you get your money's worth.  My time working for Goodyear told me that many companies sell rights to produce tread patterns to companies that have lower production costs, hence lower price tires meeting same standards.  The tires I refered to are 4ply nylon, should be ok as I'm not racing or carrying much weight.  My savings came more as a favor, got them way under normal retail.  I have used Continentals with great luck, as did the Metzlers.  Stayed with the 100 front and 120 rear.
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

Rick G

The Cheng Shins that fit the V are 4 ply RATING, 3 ply tires, the Kenda  tires are 6 ply rating, 4 ply tires,  the Bridgestone Spitfire is 6  and 4 (I believe) any way the side walls are much stiffer than the C/S tires.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Bernard Lajoie

Amazing,from plug wires to tires(well they rhyme at least) all you need is A/C delco"packard"wire,it's 7mm wire core and costs, get this,a wopping$2 a foot if that and looks like factory.As for tires B/S BT-45,110x18f/120/90x18r cost.$71f/$80r or myfav.Michelin Mac-50$82f/$88r.these are hi-silca compound=killer wet weather /cold weather traction,7-10k rear tire life either tire,do it right buy a pair mail order from Chaparral, shipping about $8 per.most reliable to buy from.These prices are from 3/03 Motorcyclist mag.Oh, and for you cheap f--ks you can orderChen-chin from them also.cheers,FTW