Saang Rearsets a problem?

Started by zayanteman, February 03, 2003, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zayanteman

Anyone used the rearsets pictured here: http://www.rearsets.info/FY17.JPG  ??

I am considering putting them on my V, but it looks like they would compromise the frame rigidity somewhat.  The stock cast aluminum bracket that runs between the bottom engine mount / centerstand pivot through to the exhaust mounts, seems to add rigidity to the frame between the rear end and the engine/frame.  The Saang rearsets (sold in US through Omar's cafe) leave the lower engine mount alone and do not tie it into the rear frame area through the rearsets.

Seem like a problem to anyone else?

zayanteman

I emailed the company who makes the rearsets (in Holland, I think), and their reply was:

That?s right, you'll have to remove the stock aluminum mounting plates in order to fit my rearsets onto the bike.  The stock mounting plate holds the mufflers and the passenger pegs, but my mounting plate doesn't go all the way down to the lower engine mount, so I include a spacer to take the place of the stock plate for the bottom mounting bolt.  If you have the feeling that my mounting plate doesn?t
do the job, you'll have to buy your rearsets from another manufacturer.  There's nothing I can do for you.

Now, that's some reply, innit???  I asked if they think their rearsets will compromise frame strength, etc.  They never really answered.  So, again, what do you guys think??? ??? ???
Come on now, what do you think?

qqbs

The cast aluminum piece attaches to the horizontal frame member via some light weight tabs.  I woulud be surprised to find that these tabs would be able to transfer much stiffening assistance from the casting to the frame.  Bottom line: It doesn't appear that the casting provides stiffening assistance.  However, you will lose the muffler hanging point and the passenger foot pegs.  You would have to make arrangements for a substitute space.

New subject:  Your bike looks great!  You could decrease the visual impact of the driveshaft/swingarm by painting the shock absorber brace semi-gloss black.

Yamaha went to the kicked back axel attachement because the desired steeing head angle stuck the front wheel out too far and messed up the desired wheel base length.

Keep up the great work.  Cheers.