How about fuel injection?

Started by blurred_vision, February 02, 2003, 04:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blurred_vision

In the November issue of cycle world they test Dan Gurneys project bike (alligator). The bike is a heavliy modified frame to position the rider like a recumbent bicycle riding position. What got my attention was that the engine was basically a punched out xr650 hot roded. However, the intake manifolds were modified to have straight ports and downdraft fuel injection! My question is can it be done to the Vision? ??? How much would it cost?? Also, a lot of new bikes now have fuel injection... Can one of these from a wrecked road rocket be adapted to the Vision easily? Power commanders can be used on these and are infinitly adjustable!! They are ideally designed to be used with a dyno. Seems like the hardest part would be in locating the injector in the maifold properly. Or maybe the manifold from a new bike could be modified to work on the Vision?? Positioning all the rest of the sensors would not be to complicated. Any thoughts??? I know I have too many ideas and not enough time or $$ to chase them.  ;D

greener

The idea sounds cool, let me know how you make out with it.

bikeseamus

The idea sounded cool to Triumph and Bmw, too. After screwing up for three years and lying to their customers (the miss is your fault) BMW finally figured it out on their 650 single,possibly millions of dollars later. Triumph worked out their problems on their 600 four after two years, but the first models they honestly admitted were failures. The first injected TL suzuki had a big flat spot that got me sideways a bit on my friend's bike, unintentionally. That beat any carnival ride I can remember for thrills! Electronic fuel injection is very sophisticated stuff. Yamaha started in by sorta half injection, using a carb body with a TPS (throttle position sensor). It was on the R1, and works beautifully. No question we'll see more of it, because when it's right it's really right, but when it's wrong you better get out the checkbook. The  R&D (research and development) necessary to successfully convert a vision to electronic fuel injection would probably make a good Masters Thesis at a good mechanical engineering university. It would probably graduate you with honors. I would never discourage anyone from trying something new and bold, but I think we all know you have to do your homework if you're gonna make the grade. As the injected bikes get wrecked and junked, I may butcher something up someday, but I think I'll go into it with a light heart and low cost junk parts and a loose completion schedule. I expect our prime suspect in this would be a suzuki sv system, being the closest set up to ours. Maybe other visionaries will help with junkyard prowls and modified manifolds. We'll see, OK Buddy.

mh

There's the DIY-EFI site:
http://www.diy-efi.org/
"dedicated strictly to the discussion of topics related to EFI design and modification."

It's been around since '94, so they may have heard about motorcycle FI.  It actually seems to be centered on designing the electronics, though it has tips on injectors, fuel pumps, etc.

Google also comes up with:
http://www.affordable-efi.com/
though, of course, that's more for cars.

Here's a link that has info on V-twin (Harley) EFI:
http://www.nitrostreet.com/efi.html#Harley Fuel Injection

-mark

blurred_vision

Thanks for the web sites and info! Obviously this project would require more research, which I intend to do. The research could be useful for a different bike? A couple of other hurdles come to mind, such as fitting the sensors for the cams and crankshaft?? Also, the donor bike for fuel inj. should obviously be a V, and a spare engine would be needed to work out the sensor details in the garage, before being done to the bike. Finally, would all this effort and money be worth it on a 20+ yr old bike??  :P  Maybe I would know if I only worked at a motorcycle junkyard??  ;D