News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Air Filter

Started by mrsoup, January 30, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsoup

Has anyone had any experience with using anything other than a stock air filter element? As the stock 83 piece is going to cost $30.00 I would like to come up with something that is more effecient and less $$$, a wash/oil/reuse filter would be ideal. I am considering using the Uni-filter 'pods' and cutting them down to fit over the rubber 'velocity stacks' inside the stock airbox.They make a size that should fit nicely and attatch with a simple hose clamp. Any thoughts on this? Or better yet, a better solution?
mrsoup

Rick G

Hi Soup, I have a  Unifilter in mine , it is made specificly for the Vision, dual density foam. I bought it at midwest supply in Minneapolis. i've had no problem with it .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

I believe dennis kirk carries it , but my catalog isn't handy right now.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

mrsoup

Thanks for the tip. I will check into this. My Dennis Kirk catalog does't list on for the Vision though. Maybe I an locate the place in Minneapolis.
mrsoup

Rick G

M y  DK catalog lists     it as30-847  24.95   800 328-9280  or WWW.denniskirk.com

Rick G

Kenny

Re Air Filter
      The only aftermarket type of filter that is a stock replacement type is the one made by Uni filter, I suppose you could fit two K & N's but it would be more work.
    I have been using the Uni Filter since 1983 with good results, just type  Uni Filter in your search engine.
      Cheers Ken
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

mrsoup

Can anyone confirm that the Uni-filter will fit correctly in an 83 airbox? I know that they work great in an 82 but I need someone who has one installed in an 83 to verify their results.
The catalogs list this filter as fitting both an 82 and an 83, can this be possible with the differences in the two years stock elements?

Kenny

Hi,    
   We have two 83 visions with Uni filters installed, & no problems, I also had one installed in my 82 with the Hannigan Fairing but I had installed 83 carbs.
        Cheers Ken
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

mrsoup

Thanks Kenny, my order will go in this week for a new Uni-filter. This forum is really super thanks to all the Visionaries out there!
Happy Trails,
mrsoup