News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

3D Vision

Started by Blake, February 04, 2003, 11:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Hey everyone,

first of all before i begin, check out this guy's site.

www.dbbp.com

then you will know where i'm going with this post.

As we all know, there are many things many of us would like to do to the vision.  But either with a lack of time, money, patience, extra bikes, or a combination of them all, it keeps us from trying new things.  After finding this guy's site about a year or so ago, I've been hooked ever since to truely make an accurate computer rendition of the vision in a 3D computerized version.  Personally i think something like this would be VERY helpful not only in the fact that if someone comes up with a new idea to do to the vision, we can see how it might look, but something like this would help to expand what we can do to this fun bike.  Things such as fairings, new parts, modified frames, even extreme modifications to the bike itself would be possible.  Now if you take a look at the website i gave the link to (duck's bitchin biker page) you'll see that he did the exact same thing with his harley shovel head.  He mentions that he took exact dimensions of ever single part on the bike in order to make a true to life replication of it.  but i think the results more than pay for themself.  You can see that from his orignal drawing of his bike, he's made nearly 20 modifications to it, from extreme choppers, to an off road trike.
     The one thing that has stopped me from doing this before is the fact that i have not had access to a high end 3D CAD program.  However, this past fall i've had to purchase autodesk inventor for a college class and I've become quite good at making lots of items in a 3d environment, (car outter body, street luge, racing lawnmower, etc) and im sure that the actual drawing of the vision in autodesk inventor wont be that all difficult.  However, the big part is that it will be time consuming.  The author of DBBP.com said his first rendering took around 1,200 hours or drawing and measuring to achieve.  If i worked 40 hours a week that would be 30 weeks!  So obviously, this will be a long term project.  However, thinking about it, the think that would take the most time would be the actual dimensioning of the whole bike, not the actual drawing.  But with not much else to do here at school becides class, sleeping, and drinking  ;), i'd have plenty of spare time on my hands.
    However, this is a problem.  At the current moment, my vision is about 250 miles away back at home near Washington DC.  So of course i can't mesure my vision for at least until the beginning of march when im hoping to bring it back down here to S/W VA.  So my question to all of you is this.  Does anyone know of any detailed dimensioning of the bike?  Im not asking for the entire bike (at this moment) but maybe most importantly the frame and/or engine?  I was just thinking if i can get those two things down (which are basically the majority of the important parts on the bike) it would make things go a lot quicker.  

Anyway, thats my two cents of another crazy idea of mine.  Any thoughts/suggestions/help?

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

bikeseamus

Blake   If you contacted yamaha they might send you the blueprints. Bikes are like buildings that way. Maybe if you talk nice, explain what you're up to, they might be able to download and send everything to you, worth a try, is what I'm thinking. Good Luck Buddy.

Blake

You know Bike, I've never actually thought about that.  Bike companies are willing to give the blueprints of the bike?  wow.. that very interesting.  I've been searching the yamaha motor co. websites for a good hour now and have yet to find an e-mail address or any form feed back.  I have found a mailing address and a fax/telephone number so i might just have to mail a letter off to the head Yamaha Office.  which office though..customer relations or administrative?  hmm.. oh well..ill keep looking..if not, it looks like I'll be mailing a letter then.  Does anyone know how much it costs for a letter from the US to Japan??

Now i'm just thinking about what to tell them.  Should i just plain tell them that i'm interested in making a three dimensional model of the vision for my own knowledge, so i can see what different modifications will look like?  or should i say its for a school project? hmm...i dont know.  maybe offer to send a copy of the finished product back to yamaha when im done?  hehe..  any ideas?

Ill keep you all updated

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Rick G

Hi Blake, Try YIC in Orange county CA. I was there some decades ago, but i can't remember which town it was in.   Tell them its for a university project, you will learn from it! :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Blake

YIC?  do you mean the Yamaha corporate headquarters in California?

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
 6555 Katella Avenue
 Cypress, CA 90630

is that it?

Thanks,

Blake

bikeseamus

Blake   Tell them all those things, plus that you are a frequent contributor to an owners club that appreciates their visionary machine........you're not a thief in the night trying to steal top secret industrial secrets.....tell them you love yamahas. The Japanese understand and respect loyalty. Take a shotgun approach, ask everyone. Just because one Yamaha guy isn't helpful,doesn't mean all of them are. Ask CYCLE WORLD and MOTOR CYCLIST. It might be easier than you think, with a little courtesy. Good luck, Buddy.

Lucky

I was thinking that a computer program that can estimate sizes from a picture might be just the thing you need. I know those types of applications exsist, I believe their used in some police forensics labs for crime scene photos.  check with your state police i'll bet they can tell you the name of the program & version. They probabably won't tell you where to get it, but a Google search might.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

Hey Blake, take a look at this page:
http://www.vexcel.com/fotog/FotoG..pdf
It's software used for engineering.  It takes measurements of images for CAD applications.  I don't know how much the software costs, or even if it is an end user product.  but I got curious, and this is what I found.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black