Modifications and Accessories

Started by zayanteman, January 15, 2003, 10:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zayanteman

I'm wondering what mods and acc.s everyone has done/made on their Visions.  This could be fun to make this list (as opposed to listing all the "fixes" and replacements we've made).

I'll give my list to start:

-Remove Decals, install mini-bumpersticker:  "One Less Car"
-Change License Plate Mounting (sideways on fender)
-Install Rear Reflectors (on sides of fender)
-LP Flush-mount Turn Signals w/ Integrator Kit (taillight flashes on one side to accentuate turn signal on same side / brake lights pulse when on brakes)
-PIAA Superwhite Headlight Bulb upgrade
-Stongard (thick plastic film) installed over Headlight
-Driving/Fog Lights mounted on sides of headlight
-On/Off switches for headlight and fog lights
-Voltmeter w/ Switch
-Electric-heated Grips w/ Switch
-Cig.Lighter Socket for accessories
-Thermostat and plug-in for Electric-heated Vest
-Windscreen with reflective on bottom portion (and flush-mount turn signals installed on bottom portion as well)
-Override Switch for Radiator Fan (since thermostatic switch doesn't turn fan on soon enough)
-FRAMM Freeway Blaster Horn (loud as a car!)
-Electrical Compass installed over instrument cluster
-CB Antenna and Bracket for CB Radio (sometimes on/ sometimes off)
-Crashbars w/ Highway Pegs (not on bike now, but were on when I crashed - saved the side of the bike!!!)
-Corbin Seat (stock basepan was used, seat is entirely different.  you thought the stock seat was comfortable?  ha!)
-Ortleib DryBag Saddlebags and Dufflebag for luggage
-Aerostich Tank Panniers up front, when seriously traveling around
-ChaseHarper Euro TankBag used day to day
-Black Paintjob  (Engine, Frame, Swingarm, Wheels, Bodywork...)
-Maybe a Throttlemeister, maybe not

That's all I can afford for now.

zayanteman

When I Get More Money:

-Rearset Footpegs (are these available somewhere?)
-ThrottleMeister
-SS Braided Brake Line
-Predator Exhaust w/ Race Can (mmmm...)
-Nice Paint Job on Bodywork (ie. not spraycan)
-Custom Headlight Fairing (to incorporate foglights and provide more wind protection than screen does)

Not Likely:

-make a go-cart out of my spare engine and parts
-put the spare engine into a Spondon frame
-a small trailer of tools and parts to tow behind...

When I Get a Lot More Money:

-a new VFR800

George R. Young

Quickie rearsets: footpegs/gear linkage/brake pedal from an '83
Longer grips: FZ750 throttle tube, grips from VF750
Gaiters: from CB750 held up by parts from GT550
Air forks: drilled caps and stuck in tire valves
Footpegs: from a KZ550 'cause the rubber doesn't wear away

All bits from a motorcycle junkyard near you.

bikehandle

???  No offense, Man.
But when your through, your going to have either a goldwing or a ufo!
Just kidding
Bikehandle
god, save me from my fondest wish!

zayanteman

Mods I forgot:

DryCell Battery (mounted sideways), helps when bike wants
to crank over a hundred times before starting, or when using lights or vest.  (has a deeper cycle and no memory)

Vista-Cruise throttlelock, works o.k.  Had to cut down grip to make it fit.  Is made specifically for Yamahas.  Helps on long freeway drones.

As for Goldwing or UFO, probably closer to UFO.  Bike doesn't look bigger (except with all the luggage, which isn't usually on), but functions better.  UFO's function really well.  I was just riding in one last night...

zayanteman

You guys are bumming me out with your total lack of enthusiasm to reply!  Haven't you made any mods?

Mods over the last week:

-ThrottleMeister (awesome!)
-Topeak Panoram Cyclocomputer (gives super-accurate speed and distance information)

XRay_Vision

Looking for the Ultimate Rearset Footpegs, look not further than

http://www.raask.se/
THEN
click on the word "FOTPINNSATSER" in the left frame; It will lead you to the product offering including "Yamaha XZ550".

if you click on "Yamaha XZ550", you get to see these:
http://www.raask.se/fy17.jpg
one word to describe it wow, Now that's rearset!

Now, last detail, don't look at the price! ;-)

X-Ray Vision

X-Ray Vision

Rick G

Not alot of Mods. I addes valve stems to the fork caps for air forks, moved the RR forward to the area under the t stem, added '83 style fairing, foam grips, Voltage indcating device to monitor the  battery. little things.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

'82,V with 83 carbs, 83 fairing (top half...need the lowers), live oil pressure guage, volt meter, air temp guage, GPS, clock, saddle bags from a horse, (don't ask, I like 'em) crash guards.  oil warning light converted to side stand warning light
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

Guys it is too much, it is no use buying GPS, mp3 PLayer or mobile and any other devices today. The best option would be to buy POCKET PC which provides you with any of above-metnioned equipement. It is energy-saving thing and will serve us right. MOrover, an acces to internet will enable us to contact ROV while we are stranded and we don't know what to do with burned stator on the route. Great mini mini gadged;)

PS
REMEMBER ABOUT XENON CONVERSION KITS - THIS KICKS ASS ;)
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

Oh yes, and helium in the tires to make the bike lighter and save gas...

zayanteman

XRay Vision - thanks for the link!  I had seen a picture of the rearsets, but couldn't find out any information.  No prices were given, though.  How Much?

Lucky - I have a set of 83 carbs, but couldn't figure out how to make them work.  Looks like the engine mounting bracket needs to be ground down, and then there are some extra fuel return hoses that look like they need a different petcock.  Got a line on any of this?
Saddle bags from a horse?  Why not.

Humber - Xenon conversion kits?  Tell me more...

Zayanteman

Lucky

Ok. you lost me on the engine mounting brackets...?
as for the fuel lines, one is a return line to the 83 petcock which is different, and I believe, will not mount up to an 82 tank without modification.  I have capped off the return line with no ill effects.

Brian Moffet

Well, zayanteman and I just met for coffee, in the chilling 58 (or higher) degree F. weather here in Santa Cruz CA...  I can say he really does have all of those mods, and I really like the Integrator brake/taillight thing.  He also poked around my vision to see how things fit (I have an 83), and I think he now wants the 83 footpegs and attachments for his bike :-)

So, for everyone east of the rockies, you have my sympathy.   ;D

Brian

Humber

EXPLANATION:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400802270&category=33710

Still there are kits that produce, 7500K and 8000 light

hmmm and one thing more

PIAA makes very good bulbs that imitate XENONS, they are about $100 for a pair but I can't find them on ebay now.

just PIAA 7500K, 8000K H4
nie ma podpis?w

zayanteman

Lucky - I tried fitting my 83 carbs into my 82 bike, and found that the rear engine mounting bracket intruded about one inch into the carb body of the 83 carbs.  So I gave up, not having a grinder, and seeing extra hoses I didn't understand.  But if you say it fits... then I'll try again when I pull the engine.

Does it just make the bike run better, period, or do other mods need to be done alongside?  I'm thinking K&N filters instead of airbox (but would that screw things up?), or Predator exhaust (screw things up?).  Also, how would having 82 exhaust headers (same internal diameter) affect the bike overall, when used with 83 carbs?  Do you just rejet the 83 carbs or what?  

Tell me everything!  

After running on the freeway for some 40+ miles today, I can say that I want an 83 fairing!!!  That darn windscreen of mine is so uncomfortable.  Anyone got a fairing for sale???

The ThrottleMeister worked marvelously.  The computer indicated an actual 70mph at an indicated 65, and actual 75-6mph at an indicated 70, and 82mph at an indicated 75.  With a 120/90 rear tire, at 9,000 rpm, I was doing an actual 100mph.  But the 82 speedo was buried past 85/90, and it wasn't tellling me anything.  

All I gotta say is:  100mph is very uncomfortable on a handlebar-mounted windscreen bike, with gears so low.  Side winds made the bars wobble, and I kept thinking the engine would blowup and launch some metal bits towards my little bits.

Rick G

Hi Zay,  The '83 style fairing is much better than a bar mounted wind shield.  The Vision dosen't mind high rpm when I first got it I wound it up to 11500 in the first 3 gears. It didn't mind at all! ( no I don't recommend it on a regular basis)  so any thing under redline  is fine. You get used to the fact that it is a high rpm engine.  
My speedo is worse than yours (60 = 68  , 70 = 80 and  85 is probably about 105.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

By the way, I added a 130 watt head lamp bulb ($15.00 /17.00 )  it makes a world of differance.
Rick G

zayanteman

What confusion has swept through my mind, after seeing an 83 for the first time the other day...

Should I continue to modify my 82 until it becomes an 83, or should I just buy an 83 and end the obsession???

To modify or to buy...

To buy, many modifications would already be done for me:

Frame-mounted fairing
Dual front disc brakes
Air valves on front forks
Fixed-up carburetors
Lower handlebars
Rearset footpegs
Higher gearing
Other things I can't think of right now.

Of course, an 83 would require some painting and customizing to become a Z-83.  And such time isn't really available right now...

Then there's the option of buying a new bike, but if I say that, you guys might ostracize me from the forum.

To buy an 83 or to buy a new bike...

An 83 is cheaper, and better than my zayanteman-modified 82.
A new bike is expensiver and better than my Z-82.
A new bike is better than an 83.
A new bike is better than a Z-83, but not by much.

A Z-83 is more fun than a new bike, and cheaper.
A zayanteman-modified 83 is going to take a lot of time and black paint, and might mean I would get in trouble with the wife.

To cut my losses or get more lost?  

Rick G

Hi Zay,   One thing, the gearing  is the same on a '82 or '83 the European  bikes have the higher gearing (also Jasons and one other But thats another story)
Personaly I'm having too much fun collecting stuff to set it up the way I want it , but  if you can find an '83,  close enough to home to buy, go for it. I've only seen 1 in person  and I've seen about 20 '82's  they made something like 5 times as many '82's as '83's . Theres one out there,
the trick is getting it home,  if its 1500 miles away.
 As to a new bike  the only ones that appeal to me are the SV 650 /1000 Suzuki, but they are chain drive.   Or maybe a VX 800 Suzuki  which has a shaft, but has a long wheel base and is not nearly as good back road bike. I've ridden a few miles on a SV 650 and its not as smooth as my V and I don't like the seat at all (even with a Corbin)  It has lighter flywheels than a V , so I had problems operating it smoothly , a problem the would go away  with a little familiarization. ( I only rode it about 20 miles, courtasy of a good riding buddy)
Rick G