News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Won't start

Started by RobTx, January 26, 2003, 02:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobTx

Well, since it got up to 39 F today, I thought I'd go out and start the Vision.  It's always hard to start cold, but usually gets going.  Today, I think I flooded it.  I was going to take out the rear plug and see if it's wet, but I can't get a 13/16" socket in there.  Is it a smaller plug?  Anyone with a starting procedure for a (very) cold Vision?  When the engine is hot it starts right up with just a quick jab at the button.  Thanks.
Rob

Rick G

Hi Rob,  I ride year round, here in Oregon and winter starts were a problem. I tried priming the carbs with two plastic tubes I inserted  through the air box front wall. This helped down to 40 deg. F.  or so but below that, it would go from too lean to too rich, with out being at just right! The problem is that due to several factors the voltage available to the T.C.I. box while the engine is cranking it dosn't fire. All I do is jump it from my mini van, it fires up immeaditily. I've started it as low as 25 deg. F.  It barely turns over before it starts. once warmed up it starts fine.
by the way the battery on mine is at least 3 or 4 years old and will be replaced shortly. You might have yours load tested.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Speaking of load testing, I've allways wondered if using an automotive type load tester, (carbon pile with a momentary toggle switch & meter)  is ok to use on our smaller batteries.  I've been told both "absolutly" and "no way" by bike shops, sometimes the same one.
Whaddayathink?
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RobTx

Rick, I was jumping off the car battery, so no worries about a weak spark.  I checked for spark and it was fine.  It would fire, but not keep running, I'm sure I flooded it.  Anyway, what size sparkplug wrench do I need?  I don't see why it would be bad to load test the battery, after all they are made exactly the same as car batteries only slightly smaller.  I bet a fresh battery for the Vision would start my Miata.  It's battery is only slightly bigger than the battery for the Vision.
Rob

Rick G

By the way, mine was hell to start, early last winter, with much back firing  and shooting 6 inches of flame out of each pipe, turns out the yikes ! hoses were bad. As soon as I replaced them things got a lot better.  It used to act starved so I gave it a shot of gas, but after I changed the hoses it didn't help, so the hoses were leaking fo a while . this was probably the cause of my sheered starter bolts!! :-/ I believe the plug wrench is 3/4 "  but it depends on the brand of plug. The front one is easier to get at, if you pull the tank and the plastic air baffle in front of the  carbs . Then use a long swivel extension.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

HI Lucky, my boss at work has a load tester for bikes, its smaller that any automotive one I've seen but I can't really say if and automotive one would be OK.  Let us know if you find out.  Rick
Rick G

George R. Young

For a sparkplug wrench I use a long reach 18mm with some foam rubber stuffed in to grip the plug top.

RobTx

Hi George,
I was thinking it was 19mm, the closest to 3/4" which was also suggested.  By the way the starter clutch works like a champ.
Rob  

Rick G

HI Rob, I think it is too lean, when its cold and the carbs are not 100% fresh it will starve under very cold conditions. Thats why I added the two plastic tubes  , so I could prime the thing.
Rick G

Cdnlouie

Hey Rob we've missed your exuberance, lately.

Visions will start in the cold.  We have -16Co here (0 is freezing) and mine fired up not having been started since December.  I have 10-30 oil in it for winter storage and cold weather running, this really helps.  Of course a bad battery will virtually shut you down because you don't get that nice Ka-thump that sucks the old fuel in.

My cold start involves full choke and a couple of throttle twists after each starter pulse as well as having the petcock on prime (just to start).  After about four to five tries with healthy kicks she fired up and ran well.

I am also a bit too lean on my air jets (135).  There is a reason Yamaha put 120's in the air jets here in Canada.

Enjoy your heat wave   :P

Louie

RobTx

Exuberance, heck, that's just being from Texas.  Y'all have given me a few things to check.  I'm out of town right now, but I'll let you know how it goes when I get back on Thursday.
Rob