News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Duel disk upgrade

Started by blurred_vision, December 28, 2002, 09:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blurred_vision

Has anyone converted from a single disk Ft brake to a duel disk, like on the 83 models?? If so was it worth the work and was there a big difference? ??? ???

Rick G

HI blurred,  I haven't ridden the dual disk' 83  , only the single disk '82. How ever I have been told by those that have that there is not that much improvement , due to the smaller diameter of the dual disks. Others have worked on useing a dual pot calipe, with success. as I am doing. There was an after market dual pot caliper, sold for a while, which is not available any more. This option is much easier, unless you have a spare '83 frontend laying around.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

George R. Young

One thing you can do to improve the 'feel' of the brakes on an '82 is replace the spongy brake line with a teflon/braided stainless line.

I made up one for mine from components, and covered the braid with black tubing to look stock and prevent chafing. Cost around $20 for the brake bits, the tubing was the outside sheath of some electrical cable.

Frugality is the right approach for a Vision.

blurred_vision

Thanks For the info guys! I think I will go with the braided line method. Besides frugality come easy for me.  ;D

Cdnlouie

Hey guys.  I have heard a lot about all the possible brake upgrades, but I wonder if the best upgrade we could do to these brakes is service the caliper periodically, say at least every two years.  The aluminum and steel piston just love corrosion and that has got to decrease brake performance substantially.  A braided line probably will not improve braking better than a smooth operating caliper.

This is my consience talking,  ::)

Louie

bikeseamus

Louie  You're right about a clean caliper. Gotta get the garf out. It is true that a good non rubber brake line will be even mobetta. Another thing that works is installing a front master cylinder from a modern sport bike. These units are designed to move fluid with serious hydraulic pressure. You will notice the difference. These are seldom requested parts at bikeyards, so they're not costly. So you gonna come to Mid Ohio Ama vintage days with Rick and Lucky this year? Good! I look forward to seeing all you guys. Plus it's fun to watch a 38 Indian Sport Scout race a 48 WR Harley and a few Norton Manx riders try to beat up some BSA Gold Stars while trying to pass a Rudge Ulster,etc, etc. That aint the half of it, as they say in the hills  of Indiana down here. C'mon down. Have fun and load up on parts.

Cdnlouie

Not too far for me. Keep us posted with the details of the Ohio reunion.

We would need to know a bit about where you can stay, eat, etc.  Put it as a separate post (maybe under the Goin Ridin section) so we can find it as the summer rolls on.

I am worried that I might not be able to control my junkie fever.  Does Pepto Bismol work for that?

Sounds like a blast,

Louie   8)

bikeseamus

Louie      OK   I'll keep you posted. I'll make an entry in the goin ridin section. In the meantime just plan on the third weekend in July. Hit the AMA site for the exact date, but that is the traditional one. If you don't have a hotel room by now I think it would be difficult to find one,maybe not. Keep in mind that riders come from all over the world for this one, year after year. It got so big they started a new one in California. You can camp for I think around twenty bucks for all weekend, on site. That includes showers and outhouses. Food vendors are numerous and grocery stores are just down the road. Keep in mind that this is the Mid Ohio Racecourse, world famous and all that. Human need logistics were taken care of years ago. All the major MC Makers also offer free rides on their latest bikes. All you need is a proper helmet and a valid drivers licence with an  mc endorsement on it. The test ride is around twenty five miles through the Ohio Countryside, so it's not some phony around the block spin. Some guys spend the weekend riding all kinds of factory new bikes for nothing. I'll guess there will be vendors for all things you know about and about a dozen things you haven't heard about. It's the best.

Rick G

Sheesh, stop it. Your making me sorry  I moved from Minneapolis, I was close enough to ride to Mid Ohio from there.   :'( from here it would take me at least a week to ride there.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

bikeseamus

Rick  There are guys that ride down from Alaska,so it can be done. Planning and logistics is it. Say what part of what Province you're in, and which States you will pass through and you might be pleasantly surprised at the invitations to stay and mechanical backups you're offered along the way, plus you might get to meet a buncha new friends and have a great big bike adventure. Doesn't get much better than that does it?

Rick G

I'm a Canadian, but I live in the States. I'm in Oregon, I would pass through Idaho, Utah, wyoming , South Dakota, Minnasota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio. I have lots of friends in MN and might even pick some to ride along. The problem for now is time and money, maybe next year.
Rick G

jasonm.

I have both an '82 and '83. Both have the same brand of pads. The '83 is slightly better. On an '82 find a 2 piston caliper from another bike. And have a bracket made. A four piston won't clear the wheel.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules