News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Turn Signal Relay

Started by Ben-Wa, January 09, 2003, 07:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben-Wa

Well here it is about 10 months into my Vision ressurection project, and I feel pretty good about where she is. (Pics forthcoming). I ran it for the first time last week with straight pipes, loud but no worse than some Harleys I have heard. The custom exhaust is being welded this weekend.

One of the last bugs to work out is the turnsignals, (new aftermarket) do not want to work. The relay makes one click and stops. Upon inspection it is rather pitted and burnt, thus deemed to need replacement. As many of you may know, they want 66.00 bucks for that jewel. I have read several other instances where automotive realys can be subsituted, but I have had no luck. Any helpful hints?

In other news, all the body parts are out being painted, and I am also tyring to find a new throttle cable, as the local Yammy dealer says they are unavailable, other than that, it should be on the road by the end of February.

Regards

Ben
 ::)

Blake

what your problem is is probably your aftermarket lights aren't pulling enough amperage to make the relay work...  what you might want to do is test this out, connect another light or two to the turn signals and then try and see if that works.  if it does, it would be a good idea to buy a load equalizer to make up for the lost amperage.  I had this problem with my xs650 when i put on a set of really small aftermarket signals.  they looked pretty cool, but because of the smaller bulbs, they drew less current, and thus the relay wouldnt work.  

just my .02cents

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

bikeseamus

Ben  Blake is right on. Vision relays work for vision turn signal bulbs. If you put those bulbs in all will probably work. I switched over to the new Buell turn signals cause they are the best to my eye. Almost fell over to find out they were only five bucks each, and well constructed. They did the same thing until I put the old vision bulbs in them. If you get jammed up, turn signal relays are available in different amperage ratings from good auto parts stores. The NAPA catalog is about three inches thick and packed with electrical goodies of every description. I'll bet the guys at the biker bar that heard you blast by with straight pipes wondered how you got your harley to rip up to 10.000 RPM. They might disconnect their rev limiters now and try that and cause an epidemic of blown harley engines in your town. See what you caused?

Cdnlouie

Hey there Ben-wa. Cables are really not a problem to get, just don't ask the dealer for them.  The aftermarket has great availability for Vision cables.  They just pull out a four inch thick Bible and ask what you need.  Furthermore they are cheap.  I picked up a new clutch cable this summer for about $15US.  Only difference is it was missing the cute little rubber grommet to keep rain from getting in there.

Don't let cables get you down  :-[,

Louie  ;)

Lucky

And who carries lots of aftermarket stuff? look for any non-yamaha, non harly dealer who's got lots of accesories on the walls
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Ben-Wa

You guys are awesome, thanks for the info. When in doubt...go to the egg-spurts.

I thought about the bulb draw issue too.

I'll be back with more, ciao'.

zayanteman

I ran into the same problem when I put on Lockhart-Philips Flush-mount Turn Signals.  The smaller bulbs weren't drawing as much as the stockers.

A super cheap fix (a few bucks) was to wire in a resister on each side (from Radio shack).  Then the bulb drew more amps and switched the relay to blink.  But that wasn't efficient, and bugged me.  The bulbs were drawing more than they needed to ...

So after awhile, I just installed a second set of flushies (so there are two signals per side on the back), and there was enough draw to switch the relay on.

Happy electric-ing...

Zayanteman