carb rebuild kit

Started by Buffo, May 11, 2005, 03:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffo

Howdy Y'all!

i need to rebuild both of my carbs and that means 2 carb rebuild kits. i have seen a post in here on where to get a carb rebuild kit, but i cant find it. the yamaha dealer told me they didnt have one.

does anyone remember that post or know where i can get a kit?

Don

Superfly

Ebay has them from time to time, but there is a problem with it though, I think the jets are wrong, Lucky would know more about it than anyone.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

ProfessorRex

Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Lucky

these are the kits, you need two for EACH SET of carbs (stupid huh?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4548363904&category=35597

the kit is correct for the rear carb, you only have to reuse the main jet (on the left side of the carb) for the front because it is a different size. if it is destroyed upon removal, any decent m/c shop will have it, it's a standard jet.

ebay has them all the time

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Buffo

Cdnlouie

Hey the Carb kits just dropped in price on ebay.  $9.99 is a  good price for one carb kit.  This is the opening bid but you are probably able to get it for the price.  This is pretty much a no brainer at this price.  The website still lists for about double this price so make sure you start on ebay.

Good hunting,

Louie

VisionaryDan

Lucky you mentioned about the front jet being the wrong size. I used these kits to rebuild my carbs and didn't even notice the size was different. Is the jet larger or smaller? I don't want to end up burning a valve if it's too small.

Other than a stumble while the bike is still fully warming up the it runs fine. Should I tear the carbs off and replace this jet?

Dan

h2olawyer

Dan -

On the 82s, you can replace the jets without removing the carbs - all but the one accessed through the bottom of the carb (pilot jet).  The access bolts are in plain sight on the left side.  Not sure if 83s are the same in that respect.

If you ever need to remove the air jets (on carb top), make sure you put a lint-free rag in each carb to prevent losing the jet down into the head/cylinder.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

it's the main jet behind the hex bolt on the left side of the starter.  stock is 122.5 ft, 127.5 rear. the kit comes withonly 127.5 so you have to reuse the 122.5.

on the subject of jets, Jason reccomends 135 pilot air jets (the ones at the top of the carb) and i switched to them when i was running 82's  they made a noticable difference. (stock is 130)

--Lucky

Lucky

QuoteHey the Carb kits just dropped in price on ebay. ?$9.99 is a ?good price for one carb kit. ?This is the opening bid but you are probably able to get it for the price. ?This is pretty much a no brainer at this price. ?The website still lists for about double this price so make sure you start on ebay.

Good hunting,

Louie

i don't see that.. all i see is the $32.50 ones on their Ebay Store..   Got Link?

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Cdnlouie

Dan,

The 127.5 is not substantially larger to cause any major problem except it will be slightly richer on the front than stock. ?This will not likely harm anything especially if your not running stock exhaust.  One of the reasons may be due to the rear cylinder getting more heat therefore it needs a bit richer main jet.

The 122.5 works fine so we typically do not change something that works. ?In the archives there is a lot of discussion by someone (Dave Tisdale) who tried many different alternative jets so you may want to read up on that if your interested.

It is very simple to change the main jet on the left side of carb behind the 10mm (bolt) so if you can get a jet from a dealer the change is simple. ?Take an old one with you to get the proper head size.

You're okay ?8)

kwells

is it just me who has had some trouble getting the jet out?  All but one of my screwdrivers is too big except one.  And I can't seem to grab the whole jet to get it out with that one.  Anyone have a brand and # for the right driver?

kwells
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ProfessorRex

The only one that I found to work is a "Master Mechanic" brand.  It's perfect.  I can take a picture tomorro if you want.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

h2olawyer

I have a set from Stanley that works great for jet removal & pilot screw adjustments.  The one that works for the jets is fairly new - bought it a couple years ago at Home Depot as a set of several straight blade & several phillips drivers.  Blue/clear handles on the phillips & red/clear on the straights.  The one I use on the pilot screws is about as old as me - 1960 vintage.  It is an old Stanley - thin & long with a dark blue rubber insulated handle.  No mods required.

H2O