News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Topcase mounting?

Started by mh, January 02, 2003, 09:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mh

I'm thinking about adding a topcase to my bike, but I'm sure Givi doesn't make the rack for it.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to put one on?

Yeah, I know, there are the universal racks, but they're not all that stable, nor all that cheap either.  There's also a rack for the Vision that's often advertised on eBay, but it doesn't look too rigid either.

So, any ideas besides getting some tubing and making a rack myself?  If only I had a tube bender and torch...

-mark

Lucky

The rack on eBay looks alot like the one on Glen's 83. I don't know what brand it is offhan, but he uses a case on it and it's very stable.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

mh

Lucky, do you mean this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1875792054

It seems that the bolts aren't really separated that much so there'll be a lot of torque on the seat rails.  Also, the rack itself looks like it's only held onto the Vision adaptor by two bolts (and thus, two small welded areas though a lot of weight could be supported by where the rack fits into the adaptors).

I'd be worried when carrying my wife and having this rack with a topcase used as a backrest.  Like how I added another requirement to the rack? :)

I'd really like something that used the forward siderail mounting bolts and the passenger "grab handle" mounts for a nice, wide stance.

QQBS

The rack mounting system you are describing is what the factory provided when the Vision was new.  I bought one then.  It is very sturdy.  Junque yards and NOS are your best bets there.

I too have recently been considering a top box for my '83.  All of the ones' I've seen that are motorcycle specific in design are, to my eye, too large and out of proportion to the bike.  This is because they are vertually all designed to hold a full coverage helmet.

I've also investigated boxes designed as motor scooter specific.  These and related catalogs can be seen at motor scooter stores and larger mainline dealers that support their scooter product line.  I haven't found too many, but there are a few that are small enough to be of consideration.  Most also have really interesting lockable and detachable carry away mounting systems.  This is an important feature to me.

Sorry I couldn't be of more. assistance.  Cheers.