News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Sticky throttle

Started by Bombotombo, December 22, 2002, 01:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombotombo

on my 83 vision when i rev the bike up the rpms suddenly go up to around 6k and stay there until i reach between the fairing and grab the throttle cable and jiggle it by pushing it in and out then it goes back down to the idle. that problem has been going on everytime iv started it. sometimes its really bad where i barely touch the throttle and it does it and im afraid to take it for a ride. other times its less sensitive and i can ride it but im careful. a few days ago the bike refused to start then we took the bike to my brothers work and we took the plugs out and checked them and corrected the gaps. it started fine. we even rode it around the parking lot and the throttle didnt stick at all. we decided to leave the bike there since thats where all the tools are in case we need to fix anything more. today he called me up and told me that the throttle is sticking again. what could be wrong? what should i check

dirtybike

I have had similar problems on other bikes and cars.  In each case the throttle cable was waring out and fraying inside the cable housing making it hang up.  You may want to disconnect the cable at both ends and check if it moves freely in the housing.  If not, replace the cable (and for any '82 vision owners who read this, the '83 cable will replace the '82 with no problem.  The '82 cable is no longer available and I have successfully made the conversion).  Good luck.

tom

i took the cable off and revved the bike by hand. it still froze, when i was doing this i felt a 'click' in the place where the throttle sticks, im afraid to take the carb appart because i can still manage to ride the machine. what could be going on inside? i know its not he cable or outside parts because i lubed everything

Lucky

I've rebuilt a lot of Vision carbs and havent sen this, but there are a few things you can easily check with the bike off.

on the left side of the carb you willl see a rod that runs between the rear carb and the front carb. remove the 2 "C" clips holding the rod on and operate each carbby hand.  if the 'stcky' is gone, then clean the posts the rod goes on and the matching holes in the rod.  

be carefull not to change the rod length by turning it or you will throw the carb sync out of adjustment.  don't lose the "C" clips eather, they tend to fly off when putting them on or off.

if the rear carb sticks with the rod off, pop the pump rod out of the rear throttle on the left side.  use a flat blade screwdriver, it just pops ot & in.  test again.

if the throttles still stick, then the throttle plates have loosened up and you should rebuild the carb

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black