News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Updating a non updated carb

Started by RobTx, December 05, 2002, 04:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobTx

If you've been following my saga you know that the carbs that are on my bike are early ones that were never updated.  However the airbox does have the flapper and vacuum actuator.  After discussing it with Lucky via email, I took his advice and tried to copy the update using his instructions and a trip to the hardware store.  The JB weld is drying now, but here is a pic of how it looks.  Thanks very much to Lucky for detailed diagrams and measurements so that I got it right the first time.
Rob

Lucky

Nice job Rob!,
don't forget to block off that vent on the top
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RobTx

A little bit hard to tell Lucky, but if you look closely, you'll see the solid gray of the JB weld blocking the formerly open port.
Rob

Cdnlouie

A real work of art!  Hey Lucky or Rob, how about sharing that info.  Interesting stuff.  Can't wait to hear how it works.

Lucky

I might put it on the site at some point, but i'll deff put it in the updated repair book

RobTx

I have a few more pictures, that's just the finished product.  Lucky, you or I could do a write up.  If I do it, I'll put it on my website with pictures, etc and you can just link to it.  Or you can do a write up.  Can't wait to see how it works.
Rob

RobTx

I did a quick write up with more pictures here.  http://www.robmay.com/visioncarb.htm  Lucky you have my permission to use any pictures on that page in your updated repair book.  I'm gonna tackle the fork seals one of these days, should I take pictures of that too?  
Rob

Lucky

great pics, your invited over to my house to do a family portrait, be here around 10:30, lol
--Lucky

Humber

anyway guys, what do you suggest if I have non updated air box???, the one with adjustable flapper is very difficult to get in Poland. As regards carb I can do the same thing RobTX did but what are the other needed parts for making a mod???

MOreover I have no any problems running on 115 jets, but when I put defalut ones the stumble appears, I have never tried to adjust flapper with any rubber or sth, few of you claim that it can work, hmmmmmmm
nie ma podpis?w

RobTx

Humber, if you have the flap but it is spring loaded I have seen that some people have glued a US nickel coin (5 grams) to the flap to have it open more slowly.  Maybe you can try that.  There are several posts about that fix if you go back and look through old posts.
Rob

jasonm.

Hi Rob, The reason for some of these bikes are stumbling(the '82's). Is because they run too rich from 5000 to 6000rpm. That is why Humber's bike drives better with smaller main jets. But He is killing his top end with those #115 jets. I checked the above on a Dynamometer having a clean filter and playing with that flapper assembly. The nickel helps the '83 models a lot because their pilot gas jets are only #50's, where the '82s have #60's.  just my $.02
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Humber

JASON - you are damn right!!!!! My xz lost its beatuful power after installing those jets, So what do u think would be the best sollution for me??? A coin or maybe a half open flapper - have no spring, it is attached on some kind of cloth ???
nie ma podpis?w

RobTx

Thanks for filling me in on the particulars Jason.
Rob