Front Spark plug R/R

Started by Robert98002, November 13, 2002, 11:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert98002

I just purchased a 83 Vision and decided to change the spark plugs. Well the rear one was easy, just took a couple of minutes. The front one however was another story. I removed the lower fairing to gain access. After much struggling with the little space removed the tank. Helped a little. Tried different extensions from 1" to longer ones with a joint. a speed rachet "which head was too bulky" I lost track of time and vowed some day when I had a lot of time to tear the whole front end apart and assemble it so it would only be a five minute job. You know the american way of designing things. I can't believe this design ever made it from the drawing board to manufacturing.
Now that I've finished ranting about how forigners design things impossible to do the simplest thing, has anyone found a tool or mode of attack to get around this problem?
I'm sure I'm not the first to wonder this, but I've checked all the post and no one has brought it up before.

George R. Young

Let's see, I use a long-reach 1/2" drive 18mm socket with some foam rubber glued into it as a spark-plug wrench. With this in place on the plug, the 1/2" ratchet fits into the top end of the socket, not all the way, but enough to loosen or tighten.

Mine's an '82 so I don't have to remove any fairing bits.

Lucky

Tip Of The Day:
When installing spark plugs, slip a piece of fuel line over the end the plug wire goes on and turn the plug with the host to start the threads. If you do this you'll never cross-thread a plug.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Hi Robert,  yes its a pain , but I can do it in 5 min. after you remove the tank , remove the air baffle (two wing nuts ,one on each side  )  then use a 9 " wobble extension on your socket. Look at it this way, you only have to do it every year or so.  Good luck!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

I also use a universal joint(wobble) on the 18mm socket and about 18" of extensions passing thru the fram as vertical as possible. Also the factory tool kit has a socket that works good. Gives the needed clearances. But I use platinum spark plugs in my '83. I can keep them in for 30k miles or more NGK #D8EVX.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

pat sullivan

If you still have the tool kit that came with the vision (stored in the tail-piece), there is a plug wrench in it.  Works great - no need to remove the air baffle or use a u-joint.  At least on the '82 - can't speak for the '83.

Pat S.