Strange Headlight Bulb

Started by Lead_Deficiency, April 04, 2005, 01:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lead_Deficiency

What kind of bulb would replace that strange looking thing on the 82?
 I can't stand the stock one, guess I'm getting old I need a brighter one. 8)

ps2/bikevision

the bulb is pretty common. you should be able to go to  your local bike shop and find one. i used the bulb out of my 95 artic cat puma in my bike last year when it blew till i could get a new one for it. in fact i left the puma bulb in the bike and put the new one in the sled. (it was to cold to try and swap them out when i had the sled out this winter and remembered that i took it out.)

its the same bulb that both my buddys sleds have in them too.

Lead_Deficiency

Did the sled bulb have that little deflector on the filiment too?

ps2/bikevision

i beleve it did if you are talking about the end of the bulb being black

EH

I believe it is an H4 type. I installed a 90W/100W into mine and more light is a good thing.

ps2/bikevision

yep thats what i put in mine. the sled came with a blown bulb when i got it.(i got it cheap cause the guy thought the elect. sys. whas shot.) all it was was a blown bulb. i went down to the local motorsports shop and bought a new bulb. so now my bike and sled both have the same bulbs in them. both 90/100w

Rick G

I have a  100/135 in mine . if you cant get one locally try Dennis Kirk  or Jc Whitney. The replacement bulb is a smaller configuration  but the base is the same.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lead_Deficiency

Do you worry about how much heat is given off by that large of bulb? I have the full faring and the headlight bucket is made of plastic.

Kevin

I replaced mine with a h4 55/100w. the 55w low beam works fine for in town & being seen without putting a load on the charging system and the 100w high beam is a big inprovement over stock. :) kevin                

Rick G

It dosen't put out excissive heat , its been on the  for 3 years and i have a  full fairing too.  I occasionally ride at night and I wanted to see  the occasional deer that tried to commit hari kari  in front of my bike , when i lived in Oregon.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike