Need Opinions About Exhaust System Color

Started by YellowJacket!, May 15, 2005, 05:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

OK, Heres the situation.  Structurally, my exhaust system is functional and has only a slight amount of rust on the tailpipes t that can be sanded and polished out.  However, the muffler pipes coming from the engine and the part where all the pipes join together is more heavily rusted...still structurally sound but grungy.

Should I:

1. sand down everything to bare metal and have the whole system re chromed?  Is it expensive?

2. sand down the system to get the surface smooth and paint everything with high temp paint (black)?

I have seen pictures of Brian Wagners dual side pipes in black and they look ok. As well as John and Glens 83's.

Just wanted some opinions and your opinions do count.

Thanks,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

83vtwin

sandblast, and powder coat gold , or bronze wrinkle coat.  it is a very good finnish and dissapates heat better than original finnish

QBS

Investigate POR products.  When I recently PORed my tank I read their literature.  They sell a product that can be sprayed on metal and be taken 1400F.  I comes in several colors.  However, it's not in a spray can.  But is sold by the either quart or pint.  I'm not sure which.  It requires being applied with a auto body type spray rig.

When my factory chrome black mufflers die, I plan on using this prosess to color match the silver chrome '82 muffler I have stashed away as a replacement.  Cheers.

silicon_toad2000

83vtwin, can you help out my understanding a bit?
I don't understand how a powder coating can help heat dissipation over the original chrome?
I would have though that the chrome would have conducted the heat better than powder coating to the outside of the pipes.
That being said, I thought it was better to keep heat in the exhaust. It?s supposed to help gas flow. That?s why they sell that thermotec exhaust wrapping.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

83vtwin

i believe the coating can be applied allowing larger pores in the coating  and thicker keeping the inside hotter and the outside cooler i applied this to the header on my volks mini stock header and it was cool enough on the outside pipes some one laid his hand on the collector and did not burn himself i was running weber downdrafts that are sensative to most exhaust changes with no problems several layers have almost metal flake apperance

Rick G

You probably will not get any rechromer to put an old rusty , contaminated exhaust in to his bath. it impossable to get all the years of contamination out in order to rechrome them . Consider the High temp paint or a used set of MAC pipes.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Problem Solved!!

Here is what I did. ?I used my angle grinder and a fine bristle wire brush to remove the scratches and surface rust. ?I also used the grinder with a grinding disk to sand off the deeper rust. ?I used a buffing wheel to shine and polish the straight pipes.....and they look brand spankin new...yeeehaa.

I also used the same technique on the muffler assembly. ?Since the tail pipes were in pretty good shape, I just removed some surface rust and polished them. ?On the part where all the pipes connect to the muffler I sanded and ground off all the rust down to the bare metal. ?For the most part it was still all chrome but there were some stubborn rust areas that just wouldn't do so, I bought a can of High temp (1200 degree) spray paint. ?I masked off the mufflers since they looked very good and I sprayed the rest with the high temp paint and it all looks BRAND NEW!!

Now my entire frame is painted, my exhaust system is done, my forks are cleaned. ?All I have left is the drive train and tank and I'll start reassembling her. ?Man this is getting exciting!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)