News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

my vision has lost its lobido

Started by interloper, April 04, 2005, 03:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

interloper

i recently replaced a gremlin containing stator on my bike, and climbed on it thinking everything was going to be great. But once you fix one thing, the karmatic law of the vision demands something else break down. Every time I accelerate, the bike bogs down around 3500 rpm's. the bike will only go 30 before it starts to sputter, and i feel like evil kenevil on a moped. i can't tell if it's a mixture problem, too much gas, too little gas, or anything. can't find any vacume leaks, and my carbs are clean. anyone had this before? is there anyway to hack into the mixture adjustment? any thoughts would be helpful. ???

Superfly

Did you cut the rev limiter wire yet, sounds like you could be dropping a cylinder....
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

couple of things to check:
since you were working on the electricals we'll start with that.
there is a yellow & black wire at the TCI 6 wire connector that comes from the tach. it is a rev limiter wire. either cut that at the TCI connector, or take the guages apart & unscrew that wire from the back of the tach. (less perminant) ?the rev limiter often fails causing the bike to cut out.

Fuel system possabilities: (in no particular order)
--You do have a fuel filter installed between the petcock & carbs right?... (never included by Yamaha..Duh..)
--clogged vent in the tank cap. take it off when it acts up & see if it helps.
--Synq the carbs & set the pilots should be done yearly.
--Clean, Clean, Clean! if you think they are clean, they probably not..  run some berrymans or Seafoam fuel injector cleaner thru the carbs (one can per tank full, repeat if needed.)  Note: DO NOT use these products if your tank is coated with KREEM. it'll eat thru it & clogg it. POR-15 coating is fine though.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

interloper

someone told me about those wires a while back, but when i went to cut them, they were already cut. who ever had it before me knew his stuff. pretty sure this is a fuel system problem though.

Lucky

i hit 'reply' by mistake, & wasn't done writing suggestions, lol. recheck my post.

--L

interloper

yeah, i got a fuel filter in it. the inside of that tank looks like the wreck of the friggin titanic. i've tried running it with the cap off the tank to, but to no avail. and syching the carbs.....man, i'm almost willing to try everything else first. my carbs are half 82 and half 83, and stuff just gets complicated. i'm really not familiar with how to do it either. i've put some carb cleaner through it though. i was hoping i could bust loose anything in there by running it. anyone know anything about the airbox flap? when should that thing be opening and closing? could that be doing this?

Lucky

Inter, i've rebuilt dozens of Vision carbs.. we need to talk, esp with a half 82/83 carb. email me & i'll send you my # (i'd usually call you on my dime, i buy cards for just that purpose, but i haven't piced one up lately)
luckyvision@hotmail.com
--Lucky

louthepou

Hi Interloper,

Thank your guardian angel you've ended up here. Many, many Vision owners sounded somewhat like you when they joined, even after meeting with many "skilled" mechanics. I'm pretty sure you'll like the real, hands-on experience and knowledge accessible through this forum.

Have fun,

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Walt_M.

Do you still have the fuel screens in the tank? Are they plugged up by rust? Easy way to check is to remove the fuel line from the petcock, put a length of hose on it into a drain pan and turn it to prime. You should get a steady stream of fuel out. If it's plugged, time for a tank cleanout and seal with POR-15.
Whale oil beef hooked!

interloper

well guys, i dove in and threw in an extra set of carbs i had on a parts bike. She purrs like a kitten again, but i can't get the idle to go below 2500 rpms now, no matter how much i mess with the screw. thoughts?

Lucky

I threw you an email on this but for those watching here, check the YICS for leaks, 85% chance that's it, if not set the synq (forgot that in the email, but it's easy to do, 'dive in')

--Lucky

silicon_toad2000

if its running at 2500 even with the throttles fully closed there must be a vacuum leak.
chokes not stuck or caughts somewhere is it?
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

interloper

well, i woke up early this morning and checked for yics leaks, but it's as sealed off as an amish girlfriend. nothing whatsoever. but i got to looking at those new carbs i threw on, and low and behold, the choke was stuck wide open on them. don't know how i missed that one. keep you posted on whether i get it un-stuck. and by the way, if you could email a round of beers, you'd all be receiving one, you've been a huge help already.