News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

heated grips

Started by ps2/bikevision, April 04, 2005, 06:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

ok motorplow im following in your foot steps and installing heated grips. i just ordered the heating elments and grips and should get them in about a week. the only thing is i dont have faring on my bike so i got to figure out where to mount my switch to. also what switched circut did you wire yours up to.

MotorPlow

I have 2 switches on my bike one for my heated grips which is on the inside of the fairing.  The other switch I have on my Yamaha Vision is for my Voltmeter/Clock/Thermometer which I have installed on the side cover over the battery.  Here is a picture of that switch.  The switch is from Wal-Mart and is a Blue LED Rocker Switch (Less than $10, I think).  I didn't realize how bright this LED switch is.  It makes the bike look like it has Neon Lights installed, but it's not, just my rocker switch.  In the picture you can see how bright the little LED light is and this picture was taken with a flash and it still shows up.  The switch is the small ball of blue light near my battery charger connector hanging out of the side cover.  At night, the blue glow on the engine looks pretty cool.  I like when good things happen by accident.

As for what circuit...  I used existing wiring I had from an analog Voltmeter I had removed from the bike.  If I remember correctly, that wiring was tapped into the ignition circuit at the fuse box.  Just make sure that the circuit that you tap into is a switched circuit.  It would really suck if you parked the bike and forgot to shut off the heated grips.  Not only will you have a dead bike battery, but it will be chilly out too.  I grounded the switch under the left side coil mounting bolt.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Chris F.

ps2/bikevision

thanks chris i would of never thought of mounting it on the battery cover like that. thats a good idea. i wont get the cool neon look like yours but maybe some day ill get bored and rig something up ;D ;D ;D

and looks like someone needs a bath.   ;D

MotorPlow

Ah... Yup.
I would much rather ride it than clean it. ?Truthfully, with all the rain we've had lately, my driveway is mush. ?That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Now, let me see if I can make those photos a little smaller so you can't see as much of the dirt....  (It's not easy trying to get all this web posting and pictures of the bike while I'm at work)

Chris F.