I have a Vision that won't start

Started by boozer3us, April 04, 2005, 11:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boozer3us

When I push the start button I can hear the starter spinning but it won't turn the engine over if I rock the bike forward in gear and the hit the button it sometimes will turn the motor over but it won't start when it's cold.  Does anyone have an idea of what to do?

Superfly

Sounds like you have loose starter clutch bolts...
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

ProfessorRex

Yep, starter clutch bolts.  Check Lucky's site www.xz550.com and look for the "Flyweel & starter clutch details" link.  In fact here's the page:
http://www.xz550.com/flydetail.html  That sould help you get started, and of course post here if you run into problems.

(Note to Lucky: your site would be easier to navigate if you put links to the home page on all the pages)
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Lucky

did it used to make a clunking sound that went away over 2500 rpoms? if not it could be weak springs or flatspotted rollers.

I so suck at html.  i'd kill for an html editor that I can actually drag & drop pics & text.  i've tried some free ones, but they allways end up expiring. (no extra cash for software) i manage though...

i'll keep the 'home' links in mind

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

interloper

when i replaced the stator on mine, i left a gear post on the old casing. that starter spun and spun, but didn't do %^&* till i took it off and put the post in the new casing. If you've had the stator open lately, it's something to think about.