News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Fried another stator - HELP

Started by yamy, July 29, 2002, 07:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamy

>:(Ok, so I had installed a new Electrex stator, ran it about ten miles, and now it is not charging....!!!! >:( >:( >:(

I check the three white leads to ground, and read resistance. This tells me that my brand new stator is fried, right? How and why, someone throw be an idea before I throw my ground up restoration job out on the street.

I do not get aggrevated, normally, by inatimate objects. But, this bike is a class 1 ground up restore job that I have poured many long hours into. And to have this happen right away is more than I can handle. Someone help me out, here!

Lucky

First, let me start by saying that any electrical component can fail even new, quality testing aside, it's unlikly the stator itself was the cause that quickly.

there are a couple of things that come to mind...did you have any trouble installing the stator? stripped screws, etc? anything that might cause contact between the wires and frame?

did you test it with the wires disconnected from the reg/rec? if not this can give you a false reading.

did you test the reg/rec?  of all things this would be one thing that could cause it to fail so quickly.

i'd disconnect the reg/rec and test it per the Electrex chart.

let us know what you find.

note to Humber: no "I told you so"'s not yet :)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

The bst thing to keep your stator alive is to replace it with new one and leave the bike in garage!!!!!

It is the best mod I can think of, I guarantee your that it will be charging FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:)
nie ma podpis?w

yamy

:)Thanks for the tips, I will do the Electrex diagnostic first, and then I will do my favorite corrective action:

Remove gas cap, install new motorcycle  :o :o

heh, heh...

All seriousnous aside, I thought I could tackle the Vision gremblins, but I have to admit that I am reaching the limit of my extremely long patience for things mechanical. I have done restore jobs on a large number of bikes over the years, and I have never seen one so mechanically fickle. But, I refuse to give up, at least until the point that my wallet does.

Maybe I can keep an extra battery charger at work, and one at home. That way I am assured at least a trip home every day.  

desperado

Hang in there, Vision recharging station coming to a gas bar near you! ;)