News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Charging system...  So very, very, very confused..

Started by Shwuz, July 09, 2002, 01:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shwuz

Ok, I did the fault-finding diagram from ElectrexUSA...  

But I still need some real-people advice.

1.  I'm not getting a charge at the battery.

2.  My stator is putting out 80-90V AC@ 4500RPM

3.  My stator does show continuity between white wires (I think...)

4.  Also continuity between wires and case (I'm pretty sure)..

5.  My R/R (here's where it gets confusing):  My readings on my diode tester are exactly opposite what they should be.  I show a reading when I'm supposed to show none, and vice-versa...   I may just be using my multimeter incorrectly, my dogs chewed up the instruction manual, but I'm pretty sure I've got it right.  I know I have it on the right setting, and the leads are in the right holes...

So what gives?  As far as I can see, my R/R is functioning correctly...  I mean, it doesn't have any diodes the show a reading in both directions.  And I am picking up a continuity between my case and stator.

BUT:  My stator is putting out plenty of AC at the plug!

Help!!

I think I need a new stator, but I'm not totally sure!

??? ??? ??? ???
"No, really, I actually do need a little helmet for a chihuahua...  Hello?"

Humber

Hi, Think that there should be no continuity between the stator and the case. Look at here, maybe that will help u

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/JET_AV8R/Vision/Stator/Stator.html

nie ma podpis?w

Shwuz

Yeah, that's what the fault-finding diagram said...  I guess I was just hoping that there was some other explanation besides a dead stator.  It just seems strange that that would be the cause of my problem, especially since I'm getting good AC voltage out of the connector.

So, continuity between the white wires and the case means there is a short somewhere.  Does that screw up the way that the R/R handles the voltage coming from the stator?

Anyone else have some advice for li'l ol' me?  

Robert_K

I should be an expert at this after three stators or three miles of bike pushing.
I got the reverse OHM meter reading also- the RR are all good I concluded. I did add a ground wire to the RR heatsink.
Your stator is fried and this is why you have continuity between it and the case.
I took list advice and hard wired (soldered) the new stator wires to the RR and to the TCI. No problems since except a bad starter seal.

Robert
1982 Vision
Seattle

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Shwuz

Its okay, I'd much rather have a certain stator failure than a maybe-stator-maybe-R/R problem.  

Electrex is a thumbs up for stators, right?

Can't wait to get all this stuff straightened out and finally put some miles on this thing...  I think I have about 5 or 6 on it so far.

And yeah, that reverse OHM meter thing kind of really threw me off my stride...