Another ignition system possibility..

Started by Blake, July 09, 2002, 10:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Hey,

I was just looking around the web for some cheap universal coil replacements for my xs650 and i can upon this site:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1715/

The guy says he makes an electronic ignition system that he originally made for"CB125J 4-stroke single cylinder motorbikes.  The Mototronic Electronic Ignition Unit is, however, suitable for any 4-stroke or 2-stroke motorcycle still using points ignition. Or if your bike has an existing CDI or OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) electronic ignition system but it has failed, or you want increase performance, then we can also help you."

Here we have the newer electronic ignition system (relatively speaking) and the guy said its a possibility.  he also mentions his boxes have a 3 year warranty..  not bad for us visionaries.. we'll be using that warranty  ;D  with dimensitons of only 120mm(H)x100mm(W)x35mm(H)  im pretty sure we can squeeze it into the space the TCI occupies.

at the bottom of his page he has a info request form..i wa about to fill it out, however some of the stuff he asks im not sure of...well..just simply dont want to make a mistake..like one of them...

What is your engine's ignition system?:
 Battery and Points
 Magneto and Points
 Flywheel/Stator CDI (no battery required for ignition)
 Battery powered CDI (battery required for ignition)
 Battery and Electronic (Transistor/Digital)
 Other Ignition System

now..im not sure..would you say its battery and electronic or other?  just something like that i'd like to be as exact as possible.  maybe somene who knows a little more than i do can fill one of those info requests out and see what the guy can do.

I went ahead and filled one of these things out.. the second page asks you stuff about what you would like to see (ignition advance/ignition curve control via pc)/what you need and also just some general info about what you're looking for.  I went and filled some stuff in, but like i said, it might be helpful if some people who know more about the ignition than me (leather, Lucky, etc..) fill a form out..who knows..maybe this dude in australia is our savior.

just another thought.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."