News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

electrex R/R ?!?

Started by 1LostVrider, July 02, 2002, 02:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1LostVrider

i had posted a question earlier on bout some elctrical problems i was having. When i flip the key none of the light turn on, but when i hit the start button and keep it pressed in the lights turn on but the engine doesnt start, or turn, or even try to start. IT is silent, just the lights go on and then dim and die. However i bought an electrex R/R and the connectors were not the same. The one from the stator to the R/R were good, but the second one with the black/red/brown and yellow were not compatible so i cut the connectors off and hooked the wires up directly, except that on hte old R/R they had the brown wire from the R/R connected to the yellow one form where ever it was coming from. I hooked it up the same way since it was working like that before ( anyone know why its like that).
Anyway i put in the new R/R and nothing happened it still does the same thing. Does anyone have and ideas why ? my next guess would be a false contact between some wires or maybe a connector thats bad. Where should i look first ????
Could this problem be due to a dead TCI ????
LVR

Lucky

first, the yellow wire on the reg in the wire harness connector (as opposed to the stator connector) isn't used on this bike and should be taped off.

normaly when you press the start button the lights should gou out, not on.  the lights come on with the key on.  i would start by opening up the start button switch and looking for burned or fused wires, it sounds like you have a short circut in the harness.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

sdinino

Did this start happening after having things apart? I had a problem like this once after plugging the connector that ought to go to the R/R into the TCI by mistake. It's easy to do, since the leads reach both places without stretching and the connectors fit.

If you do this, the unpleasant result is probably a toasted TCI. Check the wire colors against the wiring diagram to see if things are hooked up right.

If everything is plugged in right, I'm stumped.

-- Steve D

1LostVrider

well the thing is that no lights come on at all, ever, until i press in the start button and then they come on for a second then fade and die (probabbly cause my batt. is dead). This started happening out of the blue, one morning i go to start the bike to warm it up before i go to work, like i did the day before and every other morining for the past 3 months, and nothing lights out. I Have to get it towed to my house, this afternoon i will start looking into the electrical for problems, i think some kinda short circuit maybe the problem. I was jsut hoping someone had had this problem before and could direct me on where to start first, i will go with lucky's first guess and bust open the start button box thing.

thanx guys

LVR

ArrrGeee

Lucky's right,
 you have either a blown fuse or bad connection somewhere.

first, make sure the battery is fully charged
and the cables are clean and tight, also check the battery ground to the frame!

next, the lights should come on with the key, if they do not,
check the fuse box and all the fuses.

lastly, from what your describing, it sounds like a connection
to the starter switch or the switch itself. try wiggling the switch button and the wires to it.

good luck

-Ron