News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

"It Is A-L-I-V-E !?!" Pics & Thoughts ...

Started by Leather, June 29, 2002, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leather

Seems like you always hear about the broken stuff ... so for a change I'd thought to tell about a (so far) success story  ;D.

Have brought my bike out of mothballs.  Took a couple days of work but ... is nearly show condition with the exception of the temporary gas tank.  The original is being retored  (rusted bottom).  I have a NICE 82 tank but that doesn't have the gas gage so ...  would like the original back someday  (you can't find those tanks anywhere).

With the exception of small stuff and the engine/muffler painted black, the bike is totally stock (including the seat rack).

Some things I remembered during my "restoration" :

- Found 1 connector that was %40 melted from corrosion and heat generated by the resistance.  Its a pain but you really do have to replace the fuse box, solder the stator wires, and generally reseat (lube) all the other connectors.

- Speaking of the stator stuff..... WHAT was that YELLOW wire from the regulator ever for?  Anyone know   ??? .

- Its a gooey mess.... but antisieze compound is your BEST FRIEND  (especially if you have to remove parts later again).

- CHANGE/BLEED the brake fluid!!  Mine was a mess  :o (cause I'm lazy and never did it either)

- Have you looked to see if your brake light really works?  The switch is a crappy design and mine was stuck on  (hard to notice).   Tried to fix (internal spring rusted)... had to replace.

- P21S is the best wheel cleaner out there.

- Keep your bike out of the sun!!  The rubber on this thing still looks great after all these years (and help from Black Magic, Armourall, etc....)

Anyway .... the things running great ... except its been to hot in the Mid Atlantic  (heat wave)  to ride without being a ball of sweat   8) .

- Cheers !!

Pictures (HighSpeed DSL/Cable)

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze28464/Files/Vision1_DSL.jpg

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze28464/Files/Vision2_DSL.jpg

Pictures (LowSpeed Modem)

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze28464/Files/Vision1_Sm.jpg

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze28464/Files/Vision2_Sm.jpg

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way.

minusone

The bike looks beautiful!!!!!  Also remember that di-electric greese/goo/schmutz/whatever-you-call-it is also your best friend.  It is not as sloppy takes high temps and doesn't conduct electricity!  We use at work for brake caliper slides and on corrosion prone connections.  I work at a ford dealer so I get to use the stuff alot!!!!!  Try a tube it will last awhile.  Also for the polished metal stuff mothers has been good for my bike.  Max

Humber

Oh shit!!! It looks like it left a showroom a moment ago!!!!

Congratulations to the man who owns this bike!!!

Manual says that yellow cable is used to switch the lights off in european versions but it doesn't seem to be true as I have german model of this bike and this yellow wire is not used!!!
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

As I understand it The yellow wire is used to switch auxilery lights on other Yamaha's using the same reg/rec  some day i would like to look at the diagrams for other bike it fits and see what it's actually for.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ArrrGeee

it looks awesome!

wait a minute..... ?my vision doesn't have a BLACK engine !
is that a custom paint job? ? nice!

-Ron

oops, reread the post, you did say you painted it.
I've alway's wondered about powder coating or anodizing
the aluminum bits, but I figured it would be a hell of a job.

Leather

Ron -

Powder coating would be the way wouldn't it?

Eastwood Auto Specialty sells a really nice powder coating kit reasonable price.  Very cool.  For awhile (not sure now) Sears also sold this same product (marketing agreement with Eastwood).  They have a whole line of auto products/tools NOT sold in their stores  (can see by catalog or online only). BUT ... the down side to powder coating is that it had to be baked on at about 400 degrees ?!!?  
Most recommend a used stove or those small toaster ovens  (for smaller parts).  The whole engine would be tough  ???  !    That's I guess why you see  (on hot rods) stuff like  "rocker" covers and others parts of the engine coated but not the whole thing.

I've always wanted one of those kits though  (~$200+powder) ..... now you got me thinking.  When's Christmas again?

Leather

XRay_Vision

Looks Like a Vision Midnight Special!

Imagine it with a few Gold anodized bolts.

Looks great!

X-Ray Vision
X-Ray Vision