Fresh Vision meat...  Any tips?

Started by Shwuz, June 30, 2002, 12:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shwuz

Just bought my fourth motorcycle, an '83 Vision.  I had never heard of it before, but it looked cool, rode nice, and it was a V-twin with a shaft drive, so what's not to like, right?  Paid $750 for it, and don't regret it a bit.

This forum worries me just the slightest, though.  

Are these bikes really that prone to break-downs of various orgins?  Or is it that people only have time to write to this ROVBB when they are broken down and pissed off?

So, fellow riders of Visions....

What should I be on the look out for right off the bat?  Any mods I should get out of the way before I make a long trip?  Anybody have a good source for a nice aftermarket exhaust for these things? I'd love to have a 4-into-2 all on the right side, or even a 4-into-1.  

And lastly...

*sigh*

Does that small oil leak coming from my starter mean that my nose-gasket needs to be replaced?

Thanks everyone, and I'm sure you'll be seeing plenty of me in the coming weeks as I get this pretty 2-wheeler whipped into shape.
"No, really, I actually do need a little helmet for a chihuahua...  Hello?"

Humber

Read all topics on stator and eliminate connectors coming out from to stator to regulator and from reg. to wire harness.

If u have oil in your starter then probably then the rebulit is inevitable. But to tell the truth I have never made this mod to mine stator. Once I was experiencing oil leak but it was the blame of o-ring on the starter.

And YES, they are prone to fail.
nie ma podpis?w

scootertramp

I got mine at a junk yard...leaned up beside a shed...I had flakes all in my tank.. these carbs are NOTORIUS for stopping up.. clean the tank WELL(take off PETCOCK) and install an INLINE fuel filter.. I had mine done at the YAMAHA DEALERSHIP and while I got a FREE inline FILTER they screwed up and I had to REDO EVERYTHING they did so I got it for free.. I did the MOD that SENOR HUMBER talks of(REMOVE connectors from regulator to harness and stator to reg.) I am also going to replace the fuse box and eventually ALL connectors..although coming off the coil NEEDS connectors so I CRAMMED DIELECTRIC GREASE into all connectors and all over my plugs and wires and ANY other thing subject to corrosion.. I rode today and it is wild.. that thing gets on down the road to be twenty years old... I get my MOTOR-CYCLE PERMIT TOMORROW... I am gonna go for a LONG RIDE...THIS is my BRAIN. :-[ this is my brain ON MY "82" water-cooled,shaft-driven VISION(with syncronized CARBS) 8) ;Dahahahahahahaha I am IN the WIND!!!!!!!! THANKS VISIONAIRES!!!!ahahahahahahahahah TODAY LIFE IS GOOD...thanks GOD.. I ride for all those unable to... this bug's for you.. june-bug that is.. red wasp.. bumble bee.. ya'll come back nah,ya' hear?
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Lucky

Scooter, your either stoned or high on Vision...lol
Shwuz, there are several things that need to be taken care of on this, or any 20 year old bike for that matter.  review the postings here and on my site, "Vision Resources" at http://www.geocities.com/lucky_142
once the basics are corrected, the Vision is usualy trouble free.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

Right, read tips and tune ond this page. And check your airbox and and... and...... There are a lot of things to do anyway. Hard to tell which should come first....
nie ma podpis?w