News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Ignition question for youz guyz

Started by Blake, June 26, 2002, 07:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Hey everyone,

got a few simple questions for all of you (just want to double check).   Im sending off an e-mail to Autometer to see if it would be possible to use a tach designed for a car on the vision.  just thought it would be a nice change to see something different than the old blocky gauge pod.  i'm looking at their "11,000 RPM Ultra-Lite Dual Range Tach (model 6855).  i know they have some for motorcycle, but the thing i liked about this particular one was 1-its "ultra-lite", 2-white face, and 3-what really got me, was the dual range gauge.  with the dual range, 0-6000 rpms are compressed into about 1/4 of the gauge face while 6-11 are very big and take up the other 3/4 of the face. since most of the riding is done between 6 and 10 anyway (personally limit myself from going over 10k, which is why 11k would work).  anyway, back to my question so i can have some information for them.

first..  is the vision ignition 1 or 2 pulse?  im pretty sure its 1, but just want to check (1 pulse=just fires on power stroke/2 pulse=fires on power and exhaust stroke(i believe).  also.   i dont have the repair manual infront of me, but the wire that goes from the TCI to the TACH, would it happen to pulse every time the cylinder fires? or every other time? or what?  What im trying to figure out (make certain) is if the tach is how many times the tach is triggered once every revolution? (once per revolution? two per revolution?)

if they say it CAN be done, i'd be very interested in doing this (for Sh*ts and grins anyway) and simple get a smaller inependant speedo pod and temp gauge.

can anyone give me some information on the ignition?

Thanks a lot!

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Leather

Blake -

Off the top of my head ...

The Vision TCI sparks everytime the flywheel magnet passes the ignition pickup.  There are 2 pickups .  Consider just one cylinder pickup.  Since this is a 4-stroke engine there is a spark in both compression stroke and exhaust ("wasted spark").  In terms of RPM then, this is 1 spark at TDC= 1 revolution.

The Vision tach pulse comes from the rear cylinder.  It is a splice ('y' connection) on the Grey wire coming from the TCI to the rear coil.

I think this is correct but you can check:

- Unplug the forward sparkplug  (so the bike won't run)

- Take out the rear sparkplug.  Leave it plugged in and ground the case so you can see the spark

- take a pencil and put it in the rear cylinder so you can feel it go up down.

- Crank the bike.  I bet you see a spark at every Top Dead Center.

Again... remember to unplug the front cylinder so the bike doesn't actually start.

- Dave
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way.

minusone

Blake, You are right on the one pulse/two pulse concept, and what leather said will tell you if it is one or the other.  Max