Sparktrouble, episode two

Started by corwin, April 01, 2005, 03:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corwin

Well, thing are getting more interesting. I followed your introductions and cut the rev wire, no result of course. althogh checked the wireing, it is ok. I suggest the problem is in the TCI box.. the current situation is that there are still some spark when i turn in and out the ignition switch. But when i try start button there is still no spark (another spark-plug is ok). i also tried it with another ignition-pole, spark-plugs and wire, but nothing. but maybe someone has an idea, where to look or what to try?

corwin

Steve Beaverson

I have 2 suggestions.  First if you do not have spare parts ( a spare coil) try switching wire connecters for the front and back coils. I'm not positive they fit each other, but if they do and your back cylinder does not have spark now, I would think it is your T.C.I box.  If the front still has no spark then its probably your coil.  Don't forget to return the wires.  Second to rull out the tach simply separate the connecter that runs to the tach in the headlight case.  If you have spark then it is the tach.
Good luck,
Steve

QBS

Also, clean your spark coil connections.

corwin

Now i have to say, i don?t get the pont. We tried everything and got nothing. Then, eventually, my friends father (he has also motorbike with V-engine) was thinking that if we could run the first cylinder, then perhaps the second cylinder would start too (still only one cylinder has no spark, stupid?). I didn`t think it would work, but there was nothing to loose... Of course the starter was too weak for that so we took a rope and pulled it with car ... and it become alive! both cylinders were working again (the one whitch didn`t have spark started littlebit later) and next time i didn`t have to pull it:)  just push a button and it start up. So, right now i dont`t know what it was, it is working somehow (next step: clean and sync carbs), and i am happy about it ;)

corwin

Lucky

you have charging system/battery problems no question about it.  fully charge the battery & run the Electrex tests.  mis adjusted/dirty carbs will compound the problem.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

corwin

I am not sure about it, later i could start it normally and the battery was quite good (just recharged at least)... I have to do full service anyway, i am sure it will prevent many problems.

C

ozian

This sounds like a bad solder joint on the TCI printed circuit board or a bad connection either to TCI or away from TCI (vibration makes them connect, but it will fail again soon) Think about what Lucky said about electrex test   Ian