parts# for triple clamp tapered bearings ?

Started by ricks_83, June 12, 2002, 10:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricks_83

need the parts numbers for the tapered bearing for the front end also the manufacture,  have not ben able to find valve shim tool in my tool box,  been a while since worked on scooter, clean up and two tires, adjust valves,at least check them got lots of shims and no cam tool, any tricks,  have new metz 100/80/18 ordered new 120/80/18 battleaxe will be here friday putting on new shifter linkage, replace brake pedal. recurved pedalneed to replace the exhaust stack gasket on the rear cylinder muffler clamps compression test and leakdown might do top end if i can find head gaskets

RonG

I have it somewhere here, hold on...
ok, according to pro-flow the part number is SSY-500
I bought mine there but they are available at a bunch of places, and I'm told they are the same as a few other models
such as the RZ350.

here are a couple of links.

http://www.pro-flo.com/proflo_steering_stem_bearings.htm

http://www.stilettocycle.com/Parts/Yamaha/YamSteeringStem.htm

Although this is for an FZR, it's pretty much the same job.  
Here is a how to:
http://www.fzrarchives.com/FZR/fzr600/work_bench/steering_head_bearings.htm

lastly, hit the spacebar and the enter key once in a while will ya?  :)

-Ron

ricks_83

Dear Ron
         The number for the bearings is there part number in there system, if you had the number off the box  and the manufacture i could go to the bearing supply houses. Do you have those #s most of the bearing houses out can usually find it in another application i am sorry about grammer, grandmother was english lit teacher and superintendant,   i have a long history of rebellion i dont mean to take out on others. I have recently had some medical nonsense my wife had a hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and i had a prostate procedure done in may i have healed mostly  and so has my wife,  i have had a lot on my mind to distract me lately, my wifee wants me to get mine back together  and then work on the 82 for her do you have any tricks to change valve shims without the shim tool

ArrrGeee

Hi Rick,
 relax, I was just teasing you about the spacebar thing :)

ok, I actually kept the box that the bearings came in but
 unfortunately there is no part number on it.
 someone else here on the board may know what the number is...

ArrrGeee

there are at least a couple of way's to deal with this.
I think you can still get the adjustment tool, I bought one a few years ago and it was only about 9 bucks or so.

one way is to pull the cams, not an easy option.
another is to get an old square bladed screwdriver and bend
it to fit (basically make the tool), another is to use a small prybar along with a compressed air nozzle.
What you do is pry down on the bucket and using a hook tool
or compressed air to pop the shim out.
I've done all of these methods on various vehicles over the years from fiats, toyota's to yamaha's and honda's.
It's just no fun without the right tool.

make sure you have a good assortment of feeler guages and a micrometer.

good luck.

-Ron

ricks_83

dear ron
      if the box has the manufacturers name on it, the bearing supply houses can look for there supplier handling that brand, unless it is printed in foriegn language, that information might be helpfull to other members attempting the swap

ArrrGeee

negative Rick, it is just a generic parts box, no name, part number, nothing.

If it wasn't such a pain in the ass, I'd consider popping one out of
the bike to get the number for you.

drop by with a sixpack of beer on saturday and I will for sure :)

-Ron

ricks_83

took me a six to get it apart, still hoping for the numbers, i figured i would do the top end while looking, getting ready to go back together today and tommorrow. would you know anyone that has done the rods. I have done top  ends but not bottom, front wrist pin does not look good. and i have several sets of rods in better shape.can send picts to some one that might be able to describe how to chech looks like the left side of the pin bore is worn and polished the right side looks fine the new pins seem tight but would like to talk to some one that can look at the picts and help out

Rick G

Hi Rick, I posted the bearing numbers about a month or six weeks ago, ( a visionary posted them on the old list last year)  I'll try to find my print out, but try looking back in olde posts , its there.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

Camtool Part Number: 35-3470
Brand: K&L
Name: VALVE SHIM TOOL:YAM XZ550