News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

NEED Gas Tank Help.

Started by MisterLuckyPants, June 23, 2002, 08:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterLuckyPants

Hey, I need some suggestions on a gas tank with a rusted-out hole on the bottom. its for an 82 vision, love the bike, need to figure out how to fix/find a new tank. any suggestions would be appreciated, please email me at misterluckypants@aol.com if ya have any. thanks!

Tim

My gas tank had holes about as big as 2 or 3 pencil leads and I fixed them by taping over the holes and using "kreem".It was a little messy preping the tank and stuff but that was in 95 and God willing it will last for the life of the bike.

pat sullivan

MisterLuckyPants,  I had a similar experience to Tim.  I also used Kreem.  But I sealed the holes with JB Weld, a two part epoxy available at most hardware stores, before applying the Kreem.  It's held up well for over three years  so far.

Several folks here have had successful results with a product called POR 15, which most have felt is a superior sealer to Kreem.  If I had it to do over again I would try POR 15 primarily because it is more resistant to carb cleaning solvents.  Kreen is damaged by Berrymans carb cleaner.  If you use Kreem, then Techron carb cleaner seems to be safe to use with Kreem.

Also,  regardless of what you use, preparation of the internal tank surface is very very important.  Follow directions and clean well.

Good luck,

Pat S.

Lucky

i had several email conversations with the people at POR-15 last year when we found out that berrymans eats thru kreem, thus gunking up the carbs (got what a mess that must be!)
i sent them a can of berrymans and they tested it on the POR and the por held up with no deteriation at all.
--Lucky

ps to all,
my space bar only works on one side now, so if you thought my spelling was bad before...!  i gotta fix this thing...)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black