News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

So very very tired of all this

Started by Dan_Byers, June 21, 2002, 10:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Byers

>:(

Beautiful evening for a ride last night so I took advantge of it. The carb problems I wrote about earlier this spring are still there, but to a lesser extent.(several cans of Berrymens) As the engine warms fully, the bike would idle w/out stalling (albeit an erratic, wandering idle), but I warmed it up well and off I went.
 Several times it acted sluggish and weird taking off from a stopsign. Once it stalled as I engaged the clutch, and turned over kinda slow and wouldn't start. A second gear bump got her going, and I pointed her towards home, concerned now that further carb problems had arisen.
Made it home, and once i pulled into the garage, I turned her off, and immediately tried to restart. Cllliiiicckkkkkkk.....clikiiicccckkkkk...no start. From what I see dead battery. Jesus H.,,,,arrrgghhh >:(
Put her on a trickle charger this am and will do the usual run down:
Determine that the battery will hold a full charge.
Check the voltage with my meter once fully charged
Start her up and rev her up a bit and check the voltage while running to see if stator is putting out.
She got a new Electrex R&R and Stator last spring.
I have a spare OEM stator if this one's dead.
I fear that another stator installation will be this V's last, preparing her for sale. All fixes are in place....hard wiring, secondary ground wire for RR etc.
GOD I wish I had the dough to put my name on the FJR1300 waiting list. ::)
Maybe a used Beemer or Concours....maybe a used SV650 (ugghhh...a CHAIN!) any way I look at it in the mood I am in right now it CANNOT be another V. I have stuck with this and several other V's since the freaking thing hit the shores. I want....no...strike that....I NEED to be able to develope a bond of trust with the machine I am astride...and after last night, that bond....the one that took the last four years of rebuilding and tweaking...was shattered in one fell swoop.
Sorry if this bummed any of you people out.  :-/Quite a few of you have been invaluable in the last decade, and I thank those that helped.
Maybe it's nothing more than a fried battery (2 seasons old and maintained), but I seriously doubt it. I want to ride damnit...not remove that damn left cover again.

Dan

dtknox

Dan,

There is a red 82 Vision for sale in Avon (it is listed on http://www.cycletrader.com as a 84 Vision) for only $600. I called and the carbs were rebiuld last summer.

Just thought that you might be interrested, since it is close by and red.

Thanks

Dale  
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

Humber

All in All, I don't understand your problems with those carbs. Mine are faultless. I have made on mine 20 000 without any overhaul.

So what's the problem with yours??
nie ma podpis?w

Blake

I dont understand your carb problems either..   did you CHEMDIP the carbs?    you should..  that stuff can get in places the fuel additives only wish they could.   all of my carb problems went away when i dipped mine.  and i redip them every spring just to make sure they're nice and clean.  a day's worth of work for a year's worth of trouble free carbs is well worth its weight.  about your electrical system, only thing i can think of is you have a short somewhere thats draining the battery. (maybe even shorting the stator?).  could that be it?  

as i sit here looking at the wiring diagram for the haynes manual, the visions wiring really isnt that complicated (82 at least).  i have an extra one around here that came with the parts bike (which was the death of it.. engine's fine) that i was thinking of taking apart this summer and maybe seeing if i can get enough different colored wire to see if i can replace them all and use better connections (not sure about the connectors to boxes... ???... i redid the system on my 78' xs650 and it works like a charm.  (which was the death of that one too).  in reality the only difficult part would be to wire it up so that it can be easily disconnected (the one on my xs650 is COMPLETELY soldered.  no connectors.  might be a little problem if i ever have to get the engine out).  may take a while to see if this is possible but then again..im just a bummy college kid sitting around the house all summer (with a job of course - im not that much of a bum:)).

Blake...
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

scootertramp

DAN said this:    "Several times it acted sluggish and weird taking off from a stopsign. Once it stalled as I engaged the clutch, and turned over kinda slow and wouldn't start. "  mine does the same thing.. I thought the clutch was NOT disengaging but if I rock the bike forward a few feet then put it in gear everything is fine.. when my bike gets hot(I was riding all day to test) it does NOT want to start back up.. If I wait till it cools a bit it FIRES RIGHT UP..  why? I cleaned ALL my connectors(TWO were corroded) and it seems to be running a bit better although the front cylinder PLUG  tends to foul out, but as it gets warmer it works better.. I should get new ones...
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Humber

Try to spray TCI box with wd40, it might help
nie ma podpis?w

scootertramp

SHOULD I take it OUT of the BOX" I only sprayed ONE side lightly..THE side that one sees after taking the cover off... HOW much is a new stator?(electrex) who would REWIND my old one CORRECTLY? forgive me if this info is here somewhere...
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Humber

Why you want to rewind your stator???? Check it first. U will find fault finding chart at www.electrexusa.com

There u will see the price of new stator and regulator, but they are damn expensive.

If u want to rewind your stator (first check it) leave it to the professional, but remind him that this stator is exposed to extreme heat and thus the best wires should be used to do that.

HEre u have instructions about how to rewind your stator www.suzukicavalcade.com

And ther different types of wires used in rewinding
http://www.mwswire.com/inschar.htm

And here u have link to Vision's charging and ignition
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/JET_AV8R/Vision/IgnitionFAQ.Html

Few tips are given ther about how to improve your stator.

As for TCI box. Remove cover and spray it thoroughly. If u want to reach the other side, place box on a flat surface and pour wd40 in it.

nie ma podpis?w

Dan_Byers

Ok...here's what little data I have since I haven't had more than a few minutes to look into it.
-I charged the battery fully after checking fluid level (was fine)
-Battery showed voltage at 12.67 volts with bike off and batter hooked up.
-As soon as bike starts, voltage drops to 12.35 or so volts.
-when bikes is revved to around 3 grand, voltage SLOWLY rises to about 12.8-13.4 volts, but at idle, shows 12.3 volts.
-as soon as bike is shut off, voltage jumps back up to 12.6 volts or so.
Obviously this shows SOME stator output. I will look further into things like grounds and such this week when i have time.
Any ideas on why the voltage drops when idling?...is this normal?
Dan

Humber

Dan, I have recently made a lot of test on my original yamaha stator. I thought it was dead but luckily it is all OK.

Download this fault finding chart from www.electrexusa.com. Lucky recommended it to me and think it is sth very helpful.

Ok as mine Vision produces about 14,1V with the lights off at 2000rpm, and 14,5 - 14,8V with the lights on at 2000 rpms.

All is OK, maybe this time only rectifier????
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

Dan, what your describing is what happened to mine before it finally died.
I believe what is happening is that since the stator is basicly 3 wires or "legs" wrapped around an iron core, one leg is not functioning, burned out, whatever.   mine went slowly over the course of 3 months, i don't doubt that half the time one wire burning up will take out the other 2, so the stator dies quickly, but i guess they can die slow too like mine did. (i had one wire with continuity to ground for a long time)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black