News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

front turn signals/rear signals

Started by hfarley, March 27, 2005, 04:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

Ok, I got out yesterday for a 30 minute ride which for me was a blast.  ;D I know, not that long but hey you have to start somewhere! Anyway I went to stop and bliped the throttle instead of squeezing the brake and yes, I dumped her once again.  :-[ :'((I am getting tired of this >:() Anyway, as gas was pouring out of the tank and I was cursing I remembered how my class taught me to pick the bike up. I did so then noticed that the left turn signal was broken.  >:(After more cursing I rode her home then proceded to check things out. The amber cover was broken off and the plastic piece where the long screw goes into was snapped in half. I also had a new scratch on my nice gas tank.  :-/

My question is this. I have looked at the manuals and at the actual turn signal. I have spares which are still on another bike. Do I have to undo the wiring or is there another way to remove the whole casing? Also are the front and rear/ left and right turn signals the same? They look identical to me. The manual says to remove the wiring but it almost looks like you can remove that little disc piece that sits in where the bulb plugs into at the end of the wires.

Thanks!
-Heather ;D
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

h2olawyer

Heather -

:( Sorry to hear of the "mishap".  :'(  The turn signals should have 'bullet' type connectors about 6" - 8" past the nut that mounts them to the bracket / frame.  (I mean the mechanical type of fastener - not the owner / mechanic. :D)  I'm not sure what the differences are between front & rear or side to side other than wiring color so they get hooked up properly.  The molded lettering on the lens may also stay oriented properly when using them on the proper side.  I haven't had to tear any apart before.

Glad you have that parts bike!  Hopefully, you can remove the corresponding one from the parts bike to replace the broken one.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

turn signals are either black & green wires or black & brown, i forget which side is which. anyway, it doesn't matter if you swap sides as long as you hook the black to black. (and then brown to green)
if you use the left side on the right or vice versa the only thing you'll notice different is the thin bolt & nut halfway down the stalk will be upside-down. you can pull this bolt out & flip it over.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rob_OS23

I was told that the front signals had two wires, and the rear had three wires.  I don't know anything more than that.  I don't know why three on the back, I somewhat wondered at the time(I was at a motorcycle show) if I was being tricked.  Haaven't installed it yet, so I have yet to find out if it is true...

ProfessorRex

Heather:
I droped mine several times when I first got it.  Worst was when I pulled up next to some friends of mine (several who are pretty girls), put my foot down in some oil and landed on my A$$!  It was embarassing! :-[  HA HA  Thank god neither of us have the fairings!
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

hfarley

Professor: Well... I did have a fairing. LOL! I had put it on my bike awhile back while it was sitting in the garage and when I went to put it back into the boxc it dropped out of the bottom and shattered. It was a cheapo fairing that the sellor had thrown in with the bike and it was already cracked so I was not to upset. It was just funny that you mentioned it. LOL!

I was so happy on Saturday that the bike was running so great and then when I was all done I had to go and drop her. It was as if she couldn't just let me enjoy one trouble-free day. LOL! I know it was all my fault but boy, was I mad. LOL! ;)

Rob: I will now have to pull the tail lights off and check to see about the third wire.

H2O: I figured that part out as far as the upside lettering, but hey who is going to read that anyway right?  ;)

Lucky: Thanks for the tidbit of info!

jasonm.

There is no 3rd wire on the rear turn signal. OEM signals on these only have 2 wires,+ & - . I have Aftermarket signals in front that have a 3rd wire for running lights like most Hondas. With these an 1157 bulb is used. The OEM is 1156. Mine look just like the originals. Dennis Kirk has them.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

ps2/bikevision

jason is right there is only two wires for the turn signals pos. and neg. they are the same front and rear. i took a set off a 2004 katana 750 and put on the rear of my bike and they look great. only got them on the rear i have the find a set for the front.

a little tip for replacing the signals just cut the wires as close the the nut as you can on the old ones and use a socket. on the new ones leave some wire to crimp to and crimp the wires together. it saves alot of time not having to take everthing apart to unplug the factory setup. and if you use a deep well socket you should be able to stick the extra wire in the socket. ?

i dont know how to post pictures on here so if you go to http://photos.yahoo.com/bikevision2003 you can see a pic of my bike. with the new rear signals.

and yes that white stuff in the back ground is snow. i really hate this state sometimes.

hfarley

Well, I took off the broken turn signal and put on the spare one. Didn't work. Ok ::) so then I realized after a bit of fumbling around that the wires were probably bad.  :( Took the wires out of broken but working one and put into spare case. Put assembly back on bike. Houston we have lights!!  ;D ;D That was a lot easier than I thought. Thanks again you guys!  I am learning something new every day. Now if I could only ride without dropping the bike... ;)
-Heather  :)

ps2/bikevision

see most things look harder than they are. you just have to figure out where to start.

and as far as dropping the bike maby you should get a side care to haul the hubby. lol or maybe some training wheels.

just kidding youll get your riding legs before you know it.
just hang in there.

Lucky

I'd like to find teardrop shaped amber signals. flushmount to go on the fairing (83) about where the access holes are for the headlight.  I'd like 1157's in them so they could double for both running lights & turn signals, but i'm sure the sockets could be changed if needed.  

Anyone havwe a catalog showing something like this? (my catalogs are all 3-4 years old, i need to order new ones)

--Thanks, --Lucky

gbranche

Are you looking for something like this?

If so, go here...

(later...)

or this?

or this? (look further down on the page...)

or many more, with a Google search.

Have fun!

Greg

glennw

I dropped mine in a gas station once.. using the too much front brake @ 1 mph on that slick pavement.... duh... :P
Happens to everybody!
GlenW
Half Mad Max

harry_angel69

If you are looking for a good laugh, picture this.  

I am coming from work (or as I like to call it Hell in morning), I get all the way home and pull in to my driveway.  I place my foot on the ground, knowing full well it is there, and find several hickory nuts on the ground.  Being light on my feet (for my size) I quickly move my foot back to catch myself, and the 500 pound motorcycle trying pin me to the mat, only to discover more nuts.  The voice in the my head screams "IT'S A TRAP".  I begin looking for the squirrels who were responsible, and thats when I heard the crash.  Both lights and my clutch lever fell victim that day.

I will be ready for them this year

revenge will be mine

somehow

It could not have been my own fault because my wife would never let me hear the end of it, EVER.
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

h2olawyer

Funny story, Harry -

Amazingly, since I tend to be a bit klutzy at times, several close calls but no drops in 21 years.  (Sound of knuckles tapping on wood.)  Managed to catch traction or hold tight enough before she went over too far.  Good exercise for the heart!  Did learn about (not) using the sidestand in soft ground.  ::)  New mirror, clutch lever & LF turn signal lens - 1 week after I bought it!  (Weighs lots more than the KDX did.)

More than my share of drops when I rode the dirt bike.  Nothing to damage but pride.  Several times I stopped, put my foot down & found slick dirt or mud.  My fault for buying slick soled MX boots instead of the Vibram enduro model.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

Many years ago, while trying to diagnose the infamous 'Vision stumble', I rode mine into the garage and parked, next to my new FZ750, caught my pantleg on the footpeg(kind of rhymes doesn't it), and over we went. FZ, unscathed, Vision, broken front turn signal and a scratched tail Yamaha logo.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

Greg, thanks for the links, I didn't come up with too much on G00gle, I couldn't hit the right search terms i guess.  i like the ones on the 3rd link.  i cut & pasted them on a pic of my bike & don't like the way they look, but that's just a picture...so now i'm not so sure.. maybe i'll just get a cheap pair of running lights & some dbl stick tape to see how they might look.

also if i should drop the bike i won't have the stalks to protect it lol

silicon_toad2000

I've been fortunate (im not getting caught in the ive been lucky comment again) so far I have not come off a bike or dropped one yet. The Mrs has threatened that as soon as I come off the bike and hurt myself its going and I won't be riding again, so perhaps I am more cautious.
My V has been horizontal once, but that was while i was doing an oil change and there was nothing broken, I cusioned the fall (how much do I love my V).
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

ps2/bikevision

well i guess ill put my two cents in. last year just after i got my bike i rode to my sister-inlaws grandparents house for dinner. there house sits about 20 foot above the road and there drive goes way down the road and comes back. i got the smart idea to just cut through the front lawn like i did a couple other times before. but this time i goosed it a little on the grass and down i went in front of everyone. and to this day when i ride over there on the bike they dont let me forget it. at least it was in the grass and no damage was done other than bending the front turn signal which i bent back eaisly.