News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

help narrowing down a clunk

Started by silicon_toad2000, April 02, 2005, 10:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silicon_toad2000

Ok guys, can I pick your brains?
I have narrowed down the clunk on my bike, it's coming from the right side of the engine and I'm pretty sure from the front cylinder.
I'm thinking the camchain, either the tensioner isn't tensioning anymore or the cam chain has just stretched too far, or worse case scenario, something is broken inside.
Only other thing on that side is the clutch pack and basket isn't it?
now the knock only starts at about 2 1/2k revs and gets louder.
Sound's most likely the camchain tension?
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

louthepou

Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

jasonm.

Clutches only rattle at idle.And the sound would change as you pull and release the lever. The tensioner has a cap to put pressure on the inside spring. And is held to the engine with the 2 small allen bolts. To remove the tensioner. ALWAYS remove the large cap first. Then when you pull the assy. out. You will be able to tell if the tensioner was all the way out. FIRST I suggest you just remove your front valve cover. See if the slack between the 2 cams. Or if you can turn the engine by hand from the left crank bolt and see the cams not moving immediately with the crank in both directions.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

silicon_toad2000

Don't be saying its the piston pin Lou, you gave me a heart atack. If I can't fix this bike and get her running sweetly again, my Mrs won't let me get another one. I screwed up my last bike. I took the cam out to get welded and it never ran again.

Thanks for that Jason, sounds simple. I'll get cracking on it.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

louthepou

I too hope that's not it. Hard to diagnose a sound when you don't hear it. I was merely saying that because my first Vision engine went that way - upon load (as in starting to accelarate), I could hear it knock. But there are a lot of parts that can go clunk, knock, boink, click, etc...

Hope you find what's happening!

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic