COOLANT RADIATOR HOSES are FLAT not ROUND

Started by scootertramp, June 13, 2002, 03:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertramp

MY coolant HOSES are in sorry SHAPE... two are FLAT and the REST are SUSPECT.. SO HOW do  MAKE SURE the NEW HOSE I BUY is PROPERLY RATED.. I wish to STAY away from ANY DEALERSHIP(ROBBERS) jerks.. THEY act as if I AM MADE of money THEN take offense when I ASK for a DISCOUNT.. I wish to PROPERLY fix the COOLANT HOSES and so I need to know what to ask for.. I do not want to use FUEL HOSE  for this right? it would not be HEAT-RATED for it am I right ? HELLLLP!!!!     THANKS RON and LUCKY for your advice..
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Humber

This time I think u have no problem at all. Just go to any well equipped automotive shop and tell them what u want.

The only think u must now is lenght and diameter of the hose.

I don't know if they must be specially heat-resistant, but it is certainly advisable.

In my bike I have one ?ordinary garden hose. I always forget to buy a new one. Although it is shouldn't be used in high temperatures, it serves me right. The only disadvantage is that it becomes soft while engine is hot.

And this makes me think about one think, hot water can make some rubber materials stiff and cause cracking

so of course don't buy garden hose, what u need is piece of rubber hose that is used in cooling systems.

Just ask in automotive store and u got it!!

PS. They are quite expensive - at least here in POLAND!!!

BYE
nie ma podpis?w

Humber

And as u are NEWBIE let me remind about STATOR job. It can cost much more then those hoses:)
nie ma podpis?w

desperado

if durability is what you want try some comercial heater hose from say a Kenworth Freightliner or Mack dealer, i dont think you will find it that much more costly for the length you need.   NOW YOUR RUNNING WITH THE BIG DOGS!

Lucky

There may be another reason for flat hoses...

It has been my experience as an auto technition that when coolant hoses go flat, there is a blockage in the system.  Coolant hoses generaly stiffen with age, they don't usually soften.  

according to the manual, circulation starts at the pump, then to the cylinders, over the top thru the coolant hoses, past the metal hose, into the radiator, then back to the pump.

which hoses are flat? if it is the one at the bottom of the radiator, that would make sense, it's under direct "pull" from the pump.  that's why it has the metal spring wrapped around it, as well as to protect it from road debris. (same reason lower radiator hoses in cars have a spring inside.)  a flat hose here would indicate a clogged radiator.  

i don't have the bike in front of me but from the pic in the manual it seems the other long hose that runs down behind the radiator seems to be a bypass hose. (correct me if i'm wrong)  if it's flat i would surmise an obstruction anywhere between the radiator & cylinders.

if it is the long hose over the top of the engine, that would indicate a clog somewhere in the rear cylinder, also, that cylinder would be running hot due to reduced flow.
if it's the short hose from the front cyl, then that one would have the obstruction.

something to keep in mind.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ArrrGeee

ok, I'll make this quick 'cuz I'm late for work.
Lucky is on the money on the blockage thing, the reason your hoses are collapsed is because the breather vent in the
radiator cap is blocked. your cooling system expands and contracts with temp using the overflow bottle as a reservour.

take the cap off and clean it thoroughly.

as far as hoses go, my suggestion is to find someone at
an auto parts store who will let you try and match something
from what they have in stock.

good luck.
-Ron

scootertramp

8) thanks ALL for your HELP.. RON, LUCKY and HUMBER...I will check those ITEMS you cats listed for me..  HOW do I know if the WATERPUMP is working well and PROPERLY?  what is the BEST way to FLUSH the SYSTEM?  and CAN anyone fill me in on the STATOR ISSUE.. it almost  seems like I need to CARRY SPAREs  and the tools to fix it with too..  THANKS again folkes for your support and assistance...  any PARTS BIKES in N.C.?
cause this is a

Lucky

one way to tell if coolant is flowing is to take the cap off while the bike is cold, start the bike and watch for the coolant to start to move as the bike warms up and the thermostat opens.  Another way to tell is if the hoses flatten more when you rev the engine, that would be an indication that the pump is working.

I forgot about the vent hos, thanks Ron.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ricks_83

you can go to the hot rod shop and get some teflon hi temp hoses you can get it in red and blue and black it is some tough stuff and will not collapse , reinforced , you can get by the foot in some shops little more expensive

qQBS

Another option would be to find the cause of the problem, fix it and continue to run the factory hoses.  My '83 has approx. 84,000 miles on the factory hoses with absolutley no signs of wear, cracking, embulism, or leakage.  This in the face of some very extreme desert high temperature and severe operating conditions.  I've had similar service out of all my Toyotas, all of which have seen high milage.  Cheers.

scootertramp

thanks for the great advice FOLKES.. I like the HOT ROD IDEA.. I am PRINTING OUT EVERYTHING concerning fixes and tips so ALL of your advice is welcome..  I have a bit of NEWS for you all aheh..aheh,heh.. Seems it was'nt the RADIATOR hose( I know where they are now) but YICS hoses..  yipes!!!  I freaked out when I took the hose off and NO WATER ran out.. I thought to myself;"waterpump is dry or something when ALL ALONG it was the YICS hoses..... they looked old and one was FLATish lookin' so I changed them both out.. along with all the fuel and vacume lines..  I cranked it up BEFORE changing the lines  and it purred like a BIG CAT.. after I changed 'em out it said"KAPOW!!! and would NOT start and the BATTERY DIED .. It would seem to start yet die and smelled FLOODED.. I thought OH BROTHER!!! what have I done.. I went on line and found out ALL about YICS  and JUST NEW I had messed up mine somehow.. I read up where it said check hoses and I TOOK off the chamber and BLEW in it.. STRONG so then I thought I had put the hoses backwards... so I messed around that for a while and redid the hoses and fretted and fumed and KNEW I had messed up REALLY BAD and so I tightened up the hoses UP REALLY TIGHTLY and RECHARGED the battery for a bit and TRIED it again and it CRANKED RIGHT up as if to say "I WAS waitin' on ya lets go'" THANKS ALL you good folkes... :)
cause this is a