News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

here we go again ...

Started by 1LostVrider, June 04, 2002, 09:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1LostVrider

hey guys, this morning i go to warm up the V before i go for my daily ride to work, i turn the key and no lights on the dash lit up. I press the starter switch and the lights gradually light up but nothing, no spark in engine doesnt turn nothing... i think to myself great battery died somehow.
So i come back from work and i hook up the jumper cables from my car to the bike and everything went fine, the lights lit up and the bike started right up. so THEN i go to unhook the jumper cable and total shutdown. bike dies, lights go off. So i hook it up again and this time give it gas and unplug the cables and BAAAMMM freakin loud ass backfire ... more like an explosion cause 3 of my neighbors ran out of there hosues to see what the hell was going on. Freaked me out so i kind decided to leave it alone.
Here is the thing, 3 months ago i replaced my stator, and guess what, its an electrex stator. I am wandering if this is another case of a new stator burning out the R/R ??  I htink it happened to lucky, does any of this sound familiar to anyone ? any solutions. For some reason in the Haynes manual neither rectifier or regulator appear in the index !?!?

thanx guys !
LVR

sdinino

The first time I rode my Vision (the day I bought it) I had to stop for gas on the way home. I shut it off, tanked up, and when I tried to start it again... BANG! Huge backfire. The poor kid behind the counter looked like he was going to cry - I think he thought he was being robbed.

Anyway, it never did start. Had that dying battery experience, with the engine turning slower and slower. The backfire seems to happens when there's enough juice to spark weakly but not enough to run.

I replaced my stator and battery after that, but ended up also having to put in a R/R. I never was sure if the stator was really bad or not. If I were you, with a 3 month old stator, I'd check the R/R troubleshooting page at Elextrex first.

-- Steve D

sdinino

Sorry, that last reference was kinda vague. In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a really good troubleshooting guide on the electrex website. It's at http://www.electrexusa.com/electrex_fault_finding.html

Good luck.
-- Steve D

Lucky

I'd go with Steve on this one, run the diagnostic chart from Electrex, sounds like a dead rec/reg. same situation as yours, 3 months stock reg died.  be sure to do the tests with a fully charged battery.

I've gotta say though, i've experienced that backfire too & it's kind of cool when you live at the top of some rolling hills, you can hear the echo go on for miles!  :-*
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

hi lucky  You should hear it with a set of MAC pipes !! it wads the glass packing up in the rear of the baffles and shoots 8 inches of flame out of the pipe!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike