Antifreeze Suggestions for a good one

Started by fiddlesticks, March 30, 2005, 01:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddlesticks

Hey all. We are going to be taking the leaky rad off of V2 this weekend(hopefully) and putting a new one on. Im looking for suggestions ?for a good brand of antifreeze. What do yall think of the honda silica free stuff?
What are you all using?

Fidd
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

bmeyer6472

I've used regular Prestone antifreeze in a 50-50 mix with distilled water for the last 22 years in my Vision - no problems. You might pay more for antifreeze with a Honda name, but it should work just as well, at least. It seems reasonable to assume that a product marketed by Honda or any other major manufacturer would provide satisfactory performance and protection when used in the vehicle it is recommended for. I have had problems with the "new" extended service (red color) antifreeze, and would not recommend its use, although the problems I had were with a car. The best bet is probably to use an antifreeze as recommended in the Vision owner's manual.

h2olawyer

I've used Yamacool premixed since the V was new.  Figured factory products wouldn't do any harm.  Honda's antifreeze is probably very similar to Yamaha's.  

Considering changing to Engine Ice this year.  Less toxic, silica free, freeze protection to -27F and they claim up to 50F cooler running temps.  Also approved for use in AMA and other sanctioned race circuits.  //www.engineice.cc/  

I mainly like the lower toxic level and am curious if it really will help the V run cooler in stop & go traffic.  I did install a manual fan switch this spring but it would be nice to just have a slightly cooler running engine at times.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Wayne

h20Lawyer-Thanks for post. This is good info. That is what I am looking for and will change coolant shortly. Wayne

ps2/bikevision

also you can use water wetter found at any auto store. it cools better than regular anti freeze and it track legal. its what is used in race bikes so if they lay it down and water leaks out it doesent leave a film on the track. you cant run on the track if you use anti freeze. its what i use and i dont have a problem with over heating in stop and go traffic.

h2olawyer

ps2 -

Nice to know that water wetter is similar.  Engine Ice is track legal as well (AMA approved).  Water wetter requires you to add it to either your regular coolant or water.  Engine Ice is premixed with purified & ionized water.  They claim no impurities in their water.  Don't know if I believe them but that is what they claim - just going from their website.  Looked at both & prices are similar.  Still think I'm going to try the Engine Ice first.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

RACEFAN3624

I have been using honda coolant in my v since  putting it back on the road last year. No problems.
Dont be alarmed if you use it, honda recently changed color of their coolant to blue!! To differenciate it from other brands.
    Mark

jasonm.

The important thing is distilled water. Some say to use the 5/150 extended antifreeze because it has no sulfates. Which will extend pump seal life. My car went 70k with this stuff while my van went 150k before the water seals gave up. But my old truck never needed a water pump & went 125k with the regular green stuff before I sold it. So if things are going to go bad...the antifreeze is the least of your worries. But all antifreeze now have reduced the sulfate content the last few years. ALSO Engine Ice recommends changing theirs every year. SORRY not at what they charge for it.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules