News:

Main Menu

Oil in the airbox

Started by Paul_Jungnitsch, June 10, 2002, 04:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_Jungnitsch

Any cure for this? My '82 has done this since I got it. It makes its way up the large breather tube and eventually soaks the airfilter, which is annoying. I have gone to venting the breather to the outside, but this just dumps the oil over my kickstand and rear tire, which is also annoying. Ideas? It is difficult to install an air/oil seperator because of the tight clearance between the rear cam cover vent nipple and the bottom of the airbox. Is this a common Vision problem or is mine just missing an internal splash shield or something?

Lucky

some oil is normal in any engine, excessive oil is an indication of worn valve guides/seals  Jason was telling me about how he installed a small K&N breather inline with the vent hose, but i haven't really looked at mine to see how it would fit.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

qqbs

Over filling the crankcase with oil will cause these symptoms.  Vs' hold 2.9 quarts with a filter change.  Your problem is not a common V characteristic.  Make sure that the breather hose coming from the rear valve cover isn't kinked or blocked.  I can not confirm that worn valve guides and/or seals promote oil loss through breather hoses.  However, worn piston rings DO allow combustion blowby which causes crankcase pressurization which can then relieve itself in the form of excessive oil being blown out of the breather hoses. Cheers.

Lucky

Good point QBS, if the piston rings are worn, i think the plugs would tend to be sooty, if it's the valve guides then they might not, unless their REALLY worn and oil is draining into the cylinder when the bike is off. normally the oil from the valve train drains back along passages alongside the cylinders.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Paul_Jungnitsch

That amount of oil sounds right, and I've always been careful to watch the fill glass with motorcycle upright and off the stands. It's not wear, as it hasn't changed much (if at all) since I bought the bike 1987 at 7000km. Mileage is around 68,000 now and compression hasn't changed either.

Interesting to hear it is not a common problem, I'm thinking maybe a factory missing or misaligned oil seperator/shield inside the rear cam cover. Shame it is such a pain to take off. When I have time I'll extend the breather hose and see WHEN exactly the oil comes out, I'd guess either during extra high revs or when deccelerating. Another solution would be a small vented container by the footpeg I'd have to empty so often.

It's more an annoyance than a major concern, thanks anyway  :)

Jeff

When I was up in Maine I had that problem and just put up with it.  When I moved down to va it stopped.  Hummm the only thing that changed is oil vis from 10 -30 up in maine (gets cooooold up there)to 20-50 down here.
 Just a thought....Needed that 20-50 today, over 100 out here but the v did just fine.
Jeff