News:

Main Menu

Carbuertor changes???

Started by Harold, June 08, 2002, 02:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold

Got a set of Vision carbbies coming from eBay cause I don't wanna tie up the bike whilst they (the carbs) are soaking in carbbie cleaner, etc.  Not sure if the carbies are from the same year as my bike, so the question is, were there significant changes to the carbs during the production run of the Vision??

Object of the game here is to avoid spending time and effort on the ones soon to arrive in the mail, only to find that they won't fit the bike that I have.

Mucho thanks for information on the point!  

Lucky

is your bike an 82 or 83?  there are three types of vision carbs, early 82's, late 82's and 83's. ? physical mountings are identical. the only differance is that 83 carbs have a fuel return line to the petcock.

tuning differances are a bit more complicated, you will have to retune pilot and sync, but you'd have to do that anyway.  
jetting changes between the 82 & 83 are different, so you may have to play with it a bit.

I have to tell you that I saw those 82 carbs on ebay, and they look to be in pretty poor shape... I wouldn't use them on a bike without diping them first... besides, it takes less than a day to dip & rebuild a set, so what is the rush?
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

Ouch! you asked a question, you got an answer, sorry if it wasn't the one you were looking for...

The reason I figured you were in a rush was that you are going to throw an unknown set of carbs on your bike while you were dipping your present set, you said nothing about glass beading or plating. ?I can see where that would take longer.

The crappy pictures on Ebay easily show that all the steel fasteners are rusted to sh*t, so I doubt anything inside those carbs are going to be in pristine condition, which they need to be, these carbs must be clean or your asking for trouble. ?I hope you have an impact screwdriver to get the screws out without stripping the heads, your gonna need it.

How do I know this? I have rebuilt 13 sets of carbs for ROV members, and the 14th is sitting in the dip right now. I have seen enough of these to know that there is a pretty good corelation between the outside condition and the inside condition. ?so many of these carbs have sat unused for years ?that the gas in them has turned to muck and clogged the main & pilot jets, I see it on nearly every set I rebuild...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Hi This is not my forum BUT, it has been a nice, friendly place to swap information (with the exception of one individual, who will remain unnamed) It would seem that you have an atitude problem, just remember, we are here to help keep your Vision running , noone is trying to cause any grief!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike