starter troubles

Started by Pojodojo, April 01, 2005, 12:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pojodojo

Ive recently had my bike professionally tuned and when i got it out of the shop it was running like i never imagined it could, push the starter and it woudl start right up.

it had sat in my garage waiting for the snow to leave owebver and i recently tried to start it. i had no luck and nearly drained the battery. i then tried pushing it nad popping it in second and still no luck.  i recently charded teh battery to its capacity and no when i try and start it all i get is a clicking noise right near the battery, the starter wont even work.

any suggestions or explinations or expiriences taht could help?

EH

Even though you charged the battery, it sounds like a dead battery. Did you fill with distilled water to the MAX level after charging? Check the battery cables for looseness at the battery, starter relay, and starter. How long has it been sitting? Is it an old battery?

Ducatisti

Get/buy or borrow a known good (fully charged) motorcycle battery, preferrably with a similar amp rating and try it.  Never try to start/run a bike with a weak battery.  Your electronics (ignition module, regulator/rectifier) are not designed to work at sub-standard voltage levels and could fail (read expensive).  Once you have determined whether or not the battery is bad, and you resolve this issue, you should completely check out your charging system to make sure that there isn't another reason for the battery failure.

Lastly, if you find you need to buy a new battery, get a gelled electrolyte or gelled calcium battery.  They are completely sealed (no leaks, no maintenance), mount in any position and are generally stronger than the stock setup.  Just be sure to match the rating as closely as possible to the stock battery and watch the dimensions carefully.

Oh, and don't forget to buy a Battery Tender (the big one is about $35) and plug it in.

Good luck.

Walt_M.

Sounds like the battery to me also. If you don't want to pop for a gelcell, you can get a suitable lead acid at Walmart. Make sure you get the matching number(they have a close match that has the (+) and (-) reversed and would be a real pain to install), charge it and you should be good to go.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

you can do some tests to see what component is not functioning. a simple tests using a voltmeter, test light & jumper cables are all you need:

since your starter relay is clicking, you are getting voltage that far. the next thing to find out is if there is enough ampreage (battery). ?with the key on, & bike in nuetral, preferably on the center stand too, connect one red end of the jumper cables to the battery positive, touch the other red end to the positive post on the starter.. if the starter turns well, it's ok (the battery too)
If it doesn't turn it ot the battery (or both) are bad.  most likely oil in the starter.

remove the jumper cable.

next take the test light, ground one end & touch the other end to the starter terminal, key on & press the start button. does the light illuminate? if not you have a poor starter ground (mounting bolts, but unlikely), bad starter cable (starter to relay) or a bad relay.

if the starter turns connect the voltmeter accross the batt terminals & crank the bike. if the volts drop below 9.5 your battery is weak, replace it. ?the TCI will not fire the coils below 9.5 volts.

Also, I nominate Ducatisti for honorary Visonary status for his helpfull attitude. (superfly, you cant 'second' your not objective, lol)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

I'll second Ducatisti's status.  Along with his helpful attitude, he's got a V-twin & it's not American.  (I still like Buells, though.)  

Votes?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Wayne

Buells??? Oh, yeah, I remember. Read something about those on a 2 wheel Winniebego board one time.