News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Flywheel bolts - spring washers?

Started by silicon_toad2000, March 30, 2005, 10:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silicon_toad2000

Am planning to tighten the flywheel this weekend (keeping my fingers crossed that the flywheel is the only thing that needs doing) I have loctite and I was also thinking of putting spring washers under the bolt heads to help stop them loosening off again. Any thoughts on the merits of this?
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Lucky

forget the split washers, use the method that's proven to work. replace the bolts with grade 8 bolts that are 3 threads longer, & peen over the threads that stick out. problem solved. permanantly.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

What Lucky said! Mine hasn't loosened yet, not enough miles, but when it does, longer bolts and peen away!
Whale oil beef hooked!

silicon_toad2000

fair call.
I have had a look at Lucky's site and now I'm confused.
From old posts if your starter clutch is loose the knocking goes away at higher revs, if your flywheel is loose or balance shaft gear, it doesn't go away.
Now my engine runs fine at idle, but it starts clacking when you give it a rev. So I figured the balance shaft gear or the flywheel is loose.
Now this deal with the longer bolts looks like its just to secure the starter clutch to the back of the flywheel. If the flywheel itself is loose, is that the big nut in the centre (same with the balance shaft)?

Lucky

if the noise doesn't go away it's the flywheel nut or balance shaft nut.  if it does go away over 2500 it's the starter clutch bolts.

since yours is quiet at idle, take a mechanics stethiscope or long screwdriver & try to pinpoint the sound before you tear it all apart.  it's still probably one of those.  if it's higher up in the engine, it could be cam tensioners.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

silicon_toad2000

right, so it might not be what I thought it was.
I cant seem to find in the manual how those chain tensioner assemblies work. Are they oil pressure related?

Since there doesn't seem to much in the manual about them, how do they adjust and what the best way to stop a chain from slapping?