yics missing and runs great

Started by mike, May 07, 2002, 06:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike

hey guys. i hope all of your weather has been as fair as mine in n.j.  so as i was going over the bike...had to do the clutch bolts. i realized that i have no yics. and thats what i mean theres nothing there. so i got hold of my buddy who gave me the bike and he said he threw it out when he rebuilt the motor. now keep in mind, the bike runs great i cleaned and set the carbs fuel filter ect..... and have used the nickel trick on the flapper. so anyway just a thought id ask if anyone has thought of just bypasing the yics. could be trouble free he put 10,000mi. on it like this.
also one more thing what kind of mufflers can i put on this thing that would sound good? i had the exaust guy i deal with bend up the pipes for me. came out great just another idea.
thanks as alway   mike

Rick G

Hi, The nicest pipes are probably the Preditor from Great Britan about 500.00 +. The MAC pipes from Canada may still be available , about  250.00  they are loud and some don't like them  (I do)  And   Lucky is working on a muffler that you replace the stock on with. Bare in mind that that  what appears to be two separate mufflers, is really ONE , with a crossover welded in between them, it picks up the Y pipe from the rear cylinder also. your best bet may be luckys project.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

The YICS does help the '82. I hooked it up on my '82 and the idle jumped up 400rpm. My '83 it makes no difference. Both bikes have the low speed screws set for best high idle. So the YICS does help the '82 with it's smaller carbs. Most noticed in the lower rpms.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules