some of the history of the yamaha vision

Started by ricks_83, April 23, 2002, 03:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricks_83

itshowed up in the 78 -82 bike shows and some road racing  without the name yamaha   i am interested in the history of the cossworth  vision does anyone know the name of the design team or where the designers came from I know more about its introduction in the 80 bikeshow with english intro by john cossworth the hesd of the design team they had borrowed the drop support frame from ducati it was at the same time they only american bike on the market was evaluating some available models to be introduced as what ended as the evolution in but actually way to complicated for them to gear up for but they were seriouse for a while theyre greatest concern was the tarrif placed on bikes of 750cc bikes the vision introduced to the 80 bike show was lucas injected  bike helped them realize that the english could get lots of hp from fewer c.cs
400 vision from japan will run like 83 vision

Lucky

Really interesting info! how did you learn about all this? is it published anywhere? if i can atribute it to some source, i'd love to add it to my site.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

mac_p300

Are you referring to the Cosworth/Norton Challenge by any chance?
see
http://www.bevelheaven.com/CosworthNorton.htm

Malcolm

ricks_83

they brought 5 into the states they were v twins 588 ccs they had lucas fuel injection the cases did not appear the same as the vision  the important thing to remember is that the design team went from the uk to the vegas show to impress harley it was in the middle of the tarrif wars that 700 750 cc twin bike cruiser styles were negotiating harley would have taken the design but they couldn`t get to market the yamaha invited the cossworth people to japan and went from the drawing boardto the factory in what was less than 11 months i saw them introduced as cossworth in 1980 then yamaha in 1981 with few changes the counterbalancer was one of them after they designed this bike they went to the 5 valve genesis motors then designed several ford hi output engines