News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Fork spring Q:

Started by jasonm., April 13, 2002, 10:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonm.

Hey guys, I was just changing the fork oil on my '82. The book says the 1982 should have a 22" spring in there with a spacer. NO WAY a spacer will fit if the spring is 22" long. The spring is about 18" long. I know my '83 the spring is about 18".
  Good news is while checking this out I pulled a set of springs out of another set of spare forks. These appear to be Progressives, heavier and 21" and no spacer needed. Could someone please confirm the misprint in the manual on the 1982 springs? ???
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

HI Jason, thanks for the hint, Ill check my spares and see how long they are , with luck I,ll have a set of progressives.  Rick G
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

I checked out the possible Progressive spring for the "V". They list 2 #'s, one without a spacer is #111108, one with spacer is #111111.   Anyone done a fork oil change and removed their "stock" springs?

dtknox

My 82 was stock till I upgraded to Progressives, 4 year ago. I still have the original and about 18.5" long and did use a  spacer.

Thanks

Dale
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

glennw

Can anybody give me a review of how the like (or dislike) the progressive springs. This is the next mod I am going to make.
Does it help that nasty nose dive?

Glennw
Half Mad Max

jasonm.

Glen,  The Progressive springs will not allow the forks to bottom. That is for sure. When off the center stand only a little over an inch of travel is used. Compared to the stock units which 2+ inches is used up. I have not done much riding with these as of yet. But the difference off the stand is obvious. I still have other items to tend to on this bike before it becomes a perpetual ride.

dtknox

I am 210 lbs and with the original spring the front end would bottom out with even moderatly hard braking. With the Progressives springs, the ride was firm but not too stiff and the nose dive was corrected.

Proformance Works also sell a set of replacement springs for the Vision.

Thanks

Dale
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97