News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Gas tank.

Started by SHAWNEEVISION, April 14, 2002, 03:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHAWNEEVISION

Problem:  tank was creemed and now that is flaking off and rusting on the inside, gas is trashy and full of crap.  Also the filter above the petcock assy. has a hole in the mesh.

Can the tank be brought back to working condition?  Re-creemed?

Thanks.

Lucky

Use POR-15, it includes stuff to remove old tank coatings (Kreem is Krap!)
there is a link on my site "Vision Resources" at:
http://www.geocities.com/lucky_142
follow the Fuel Tank Repair link
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

SHAWNEEVISION

Lucky, thanks for the info on POR-15.  I will buy a kit and give it a go.  My other question was about the petcock filter.  Can it be worked on or does it just get replaced?  If I use an in-line fuel filter (which I've already installed) will that be OK even if the petcock filter is failing?

Thanks,

Shawn.

Kenny

Hi Shawn,
      Just so you are aware of it - POR15 makes two kits the regular kit is for tanks that have not been coated and the Heavy Duty kit is for contains chemicals to remove the coating on a tank done earlier. I just did a none coated tank and it was fairly easy to do.
                Cheer Ken S
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Kenny

Hi Shawn,
      Just so you are aware of it - POR15 makes two kits the regular kit is for tanks that have not been coated and the Heavy Duty kit  contains chemicals to remove the coating on a tank done earlier. I just did a none coated tank and it was fairly easy to do.
                Cheer Ken S
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Lucky

i wouldn't worry too much about the "filter on the petcock if you have an inline filter.  if it is crumbling you might want to take it out, but i wouldn't worry about it.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

SHAWNEEVISION

Kenny, Lucky,

Thanks again to both of you for your assistance.  I am going to use the Heavy Duty POR-15 kit to bring my tank back to life since the "TEXT" will have to be cleansed prior to resurfacing with the POR-15.  

STUFF
Shawn

SHAWNEEVISION

FYI:

The weird crap in the the above posting was me trying out those "YABBC" tags.  Didn't quite work as planned!!

Peace.

SHAWNEEVISION
Halfway decent picture of my bike: