Main Menu

Exhaust Q.

Started by 1LostVrider, April 15, 2002, 12:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1LostVrider

hey guys, Why is it that we cant just slap any kind of exhaust on the vision ? This might be a stupid question but i have no idea how the exhuast system works. I asked my mechanic what kinda of replacement mufflers there are out there and he said he only knew of the mac (which has appeared in several posts on exhaust in the forum) but he said they were crappy and only use that one if the original was rusted out. so i asked him if the limited muffler options was because of the smog regulations (i live in cali and all motor vehicles need smog check) and he said the vision doesnt need smog checks ( as a matter of fact my registration is due and DMV doesnt ask for any smog checks). So i asked him what happends if i put any kind of after market exhaust on and  He said that by putting any kind of exhaust it could make the engine run bad. How bad ? i didnt ask him i jsut left it to that. But the question has been running through my head all weekend so i thought of asking you guys.

Lets say i throw some yoshimura pipes on her, what exactly is gonna happen to my engine ? How can I determine the compatibility of aftermarket exhausts with the V's engine ?

Thanks !

LVR

Lucky

asside from the Macs, which are inexpensive and can use a better baffle, the only other alternative i know of are the preditor system @ $600,  MIVV from Italy around $300 after shipping (you cut off your old cans and install these) and the system i'm designing right now, based on the MIVV, refer to my earlier posts such as "my replacement mufflers...so far" for details.

the bike will not run badly with other exhausts

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

H, Many new Vision owners don't understand the complexity of the stock Vision exhaust system. what appear to be two separate mufflers are really two mufflers with a crossover system welded in place. It connects the two mufflers AND picks up the "Y" pipe from the rear cylinder. Lucky is on the right track with his experiment to create a replacement muffler based on the stock system. I have a set of MAC pipes and in my opinion they are not "crappy" at all. However some one reported a while back that MAC will not be making any more for the Vision. I wish I had a second set for my other Vision.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike