News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Sweet smell of race gas...

Started by Dave T., April 14, 2002, 02:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T.

I don't know about you guys but I like the smell. I can usually smell it at the MX races. Anyway.... ;)

I just got done with a 36 mile ride on my V, after working all winter on it. I had a valve job, milled the heads .005" and put new rings in it. Oh yeah, when setting up your timing, make sure you use the timing marks on the CAM and line them up with the bearing caps, NOT the gear marks!!

I have a local TEXACO gas station that sells 100 octane unleaded and leaded (substitute) 110 octane fuel for $4 a gallon. Since I was having trouble getting the rear cylinder to seal, and the old gas was questionalble, I drained out the whole system and put in the purple 110 octane fuel yesterday. Well, I removed the head and lapped the valves last weekend and this helped a lot with my sealing problem. I just got a XZ service manual from a guy in Manitoba too (If anyone need any info, let me know, hell it's even in French!). Man you sure can smell the race gas. I topped off the tank with 92 unleaded.

After a nice break in ride with the rpm's not going over 4000, I figgered I'd just let you know it's a good day to be alive. Nothing better than a ride on a warm sunny day....  ;D
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)