News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

TRIPLE TREE REMOVAL!!

Started by Blake, April 06, 2002, 12:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

HELP PLEASE SOMEONE!!

my entire front end is off..  all i have is to get the triples off.  but the part on the bolt on the top tree is stuck on.  yeah..that made a LOT of sense... so let me clarify.

there are two "bolts" (notched large rings) holding the bearings in on the top half.  the top tree is off.  but i cant get these notched rings off.  the haynes says use a spanner wrench...  but the only one i have is the ones that come with my motorcycles eg. crap.  the inside radius of the curve of the tools is too large so it doesnt grab the rings enough for me to crank on it.   do you guys just use this tool?  

WHAT DO YOU USE TO GET THIS THING OFF???

thanks a lot,

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

sdinino

IIRC, I used a pair of channel locks to get a grip on them - it was the only thing I had in the toolbox big enough to grab em. If I do it again I'd put a rag around them first since I chewed them up pretty badly this way.

-- Steve D

Blake

argh..

alright..well..thanks..the channel locks worked..actually..didnt have a pair big enough so i used a REALLY big pipe wrench i have from the 50's or so..

anyway..

I greased the bearings, put them in, triple trees back, i must say..  NICE  ;D  ..but...but..those two nuts on top... a problem again..now is the problem of tightening them up (independently) so they lock against one another.  for the tightness of the bottom on that actually does the tightness for the bearing, i found figer tight plus about a 1/8-1/4 turn on the junk bike shock spanner wrench gives it a good loose feel but is secure so nothings loose.  but.. BUT...now my problem is keeping that bottom nut stationary and in once place, while i tighten the top on down onto the bottom one (locking the two together so they dont come off...)

grr..  oh well..im quitting for the night....have to make a trip up to baltimore for my sister's college concrete canoe contest tomorow.   so ill do some brain storming and tack the thing tomorrow.

any suggestions/help?

thanks a lot youz guyz (little godfather humor there..sorry...its on tv)

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

suggestions? hmm, concrete canoe...
one suggestion:
WEAR A LIFE JACKET!

LOL

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

what you need is a"C" wrench I have one I used on 60 era 2 stroke exaust rings it 1918 vintage  but yamaha sold something like it . goto the hardware store and see whats in plumbing tools, if they don't have it try a plumbing wholesaler. You may be able to coax them into selling to you.there are some like mine which have a "hinged" end which has a "tooth" that engages the noches, there are fixed types too, but these need to be pretty close to the right fit.  lots of luck.  
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

XRay_Vision

Blake,

A cheap, but excellent solution is to use a bicycle tool (used to remove the same type of nut at the bottom bracket where the pedal crankarm attach to the frame). You can get quality ones with a great grip and long handle.

Visit your the park tool website,
as an example one of the tools might be...
http://www.parktool.com/tools/HCW_12.shtml

Mesure the outside diameter of the nut and the number of nuches in it. They might have a tool that fits perfectly for that nut.

Maybe a visit the a bicycle shop will help!

Good Luck

X-Ray Vision
X-Ray Vision