News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Chain drive conversion

Started by BB, March 27, 2002, 05:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

All

I'm looking for anyone with knowledge of how to do a conversion from shaft to chain drive on a Vision.  I've seen pictures of bikes with this modification but I can't find an email address or description of how the job is actually done.  If anyone can help me please let me know at "Genoff119@aol.com".

Thanks in advance!

BB

sdinino

I can't help with info on the conversion, but I couldn't resist asking... why? Judging by the post history here, the drive train is the most trouble free component of the bike!

-- Steve D

BB

I'm a demented Cheesehead with visions (ahem, sorry...) of building a poor-man's Ducati.  I guess by the time I got done with machining the cases, building a new countershaft and installing seals I'd spend less money buying a used SV650....  I found pictures on different websites of just such a bike built by John Clemens of Portland about five years ago.  Unfortunately, the email address and two phone numbers I found for him crapped out.  

Failing the drive conversion, anyone have experience mounting a different rear wheel?

Rick G

getting in touch with john is not much help either, I asked him about  boreing it out to 650 and his answer was " pistons, all bore  no stroke" he does not engage in excess verbage! Jeff Swann refered me to  another  fellow , who was very helpful, and I bet  he could answer your questions, if I can find his number I'll pass it on! One more thing , I bet the the shaft is from another Yamaha and that no machineing is nessasary  ( Not only can I not type, BUT I cant spell for beans either!) Kenny Roberts built one many years ago (I've seen pictures of it) with chain drive , the only advantage is if you are racing , you can readily change gearing, with the shaft your stuck with what you've got (which works for me!)  Rick G
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike